?? about odyssea fixtures..

cfrank84

Market
Reaction score
I was thinking of upgrading the lights for my RSM since im no longer moving to Cali and was wondering if anyone had any experience with the brand..

i was thinking of going with the http://shop.aquatraders.com/Odyssea-24in-Metal-Halide-with-Power-Compact-p/54201.htm">Odyssea 24" 380W Metal Halide System with Power Compact </a> possibly the 30" if need be which is the same as far as wattage goes

found them on Aquatraders.com

thanks for any and all input and ill let whoever is interested how it goes if i decide to buy the fixture or not

I don't know about the new ones but I know the old ones produced fire sometimes.
chris

Everything I found about the fires said it was old magnetic style ballasts and the new electronic ones are alright.

That said, you get what you pay for...

It's a good price but a price that cheap would make me wonder why is it that cheap

yea it is less than half of what most of the big names are but i guess my opinion is that if it works and makes my fish and corals even a little bit happier than they are currently then its well spent money... i dont really have the funds to buy one of those expensive lights since im only working part time now thanks to the good ole economy but the little bit of money i do have i would like to try and make them a lil happier :p i really wanted one of those viper things but i never seem to catch them when they are for sale on here..

Keep in mind you'll probably want to ditch the bulb ASAP for a better one, so that adds another $50.

and i Assume that is a good amount of light even if it is coming from a subpar fixture correct? i have 1 frag of SPS the rest is LPS and softies.. i have no interest in sps at the current time but would like the ability if it ever sparked an interest..

any other suggestions of good cheaper fixtures? id like it to be under 200.. im willing to maybe trade my biocube 14 for a good one if anyone is interested

if you are doing LPS/Softies I might just go with T-5's I have a fou bulb fixture over my 55gal with some sps,lps and softies.
Chris c

i really would like to get a clam at some point so i want to just go ahead and get the best light i can so that when i decide to get a clam i have a good light for it :p

I have a clam appx 15-16" under a 4x54 T5 Nova Extreme fixture. Been there since January, has grown nicely, and is happy as a clam!

au01st;366385 wrote: I have a clam appx 15-16" under a 4x54 T5 Nova Extreme fixture. Been there since January, has grown nicely, and is happy as a clam!

we have the same light and I am loving mine

Haha, it's 15-16" beneath the surface, not the size of the clam. I was just stating that so you know you don't NEED halides for clams.

I like the fixture too, but it will be for sale soon. Don't think it will handle the depth of a 90 so I'm going to the dark side...the dark shimmering side.

cfrank84;366384 wrote: ..so i want to just go ahead and get the best light i can... :p

Then this is not the brand for you. These fixtures are notoriously bad. If you get one that doesn't ignite (I would rewire it regardless), the bulb is terrible and will need replacing. Also, the ballasts were underpowering the bulbs (less light, par, etc); not sure if they've addressed that now, but I doubt it.

Taking this into consideration, you'll end up spending $ to get the fixture in a usable state AND end up dumping it in the near future- you're better off buying a better fixture to begin with.

There are plenty of options @ the $200 mark, especially used options.

im totally open to used options but havent really seen any for my tank so if anyone has something for sale.. let me know!!

thanks for all the input from you guys

i guess ill be sticking with my current lights and either buy something better used or wait till i can afford something nice new

oh my! amazing tank! thx for the pic! i guess maybe i will try and look into some other lighting for my tank.. just need to figure out what i can afford and how long i want to wait to get it :p hmmmm MH or T5 or BOTH :p my issue is that im not sure whats best for what and why its better and such ..

again thx for the great input guys im going to be holding off on lights for now i guess

So we have to talk smack about t-5's to get a pic out of ya nowadays?
Lovin the tank bro

Back