About to pull the trigger

db366

Reaction score
http://www.ebay.com/itm/310351008377?var=610040359592&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649">http://www.ebay.com/itm/310351008377?var=610040359592&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649</a>

My one concern is that since I will be putting this over a Biocube (gutting the hood and cutting a whole for it) will it burn corals at first.

Probably, thats a whole lot of light for a BioCube.

Take the lid off and suspend it, periodically lowering it until it's to the point where you want it within the biocube lid.

If you are worried about that, you can-

1) turn on 1 bank at a time

2) use some window screen between the led and tank

3) shorten photoperiod

or combiantion(s) thereof

DawgFace;696211 wrote: Probably, thats a whole lot of light for a BioCube.

Take the lid off and suspend it, periodically lowering it until it's to the point where you want it within the biocube lid.

Good idea, that would also give me time to do it right and mold the hood around the light.

dawgface;696211 wrote: probably, thats a whole lot of light for a biocube.

take the lid off and suspend it, periodically lowering it until it's to the point where you want it within the biocube lid.

+1

That fixture is overkill on a BC

Consider something lower wattage, or you'll be upgrading the BC soon.

I bet that fixture could light a 60 cube decently....

Well it is the equivalent of a 250 watt MH which I had over a 30 cube. It comes with a hanging kit, and I can just hang it from the wall with a hook. I'd love to get one that was only around 60-80 watts but I'd have to wait for it from china and I like the fact that this is a US run account.

Honestly, I don't see that fixture holding up. Seems that everything on ebay is cheap!

JCampbell;696227 wrote: Honestly, I don't see that fixture holding up. Seems that everything on ebay is cheap!

There are a couple of members here using these and countless threads on RC that have good things to say about them. I am more worried about them bringing my corals than the quality of the light.

Thanks to this thread, i went ahead and ordered these lights. Got them yesterday and i love them. i feel it's a nice cheap price too.

Yep, I got mine in the mail yesterday as well! I am loving the color and shimmer. Only downside is the light floods out of the tank so much that you can see it from down the street at night lol.

i feel these lights are just like any other fixture that you will find at LFS's, only without the mark up price.

Edit: love the royal blue color too.

CarlitosReef;698264 wrote: Did you ever run T5 in the past? Can you compare this to a Tek 4 T5 fixture?

Nope, never ran T5's but it looks like a 14 k phoenix metal halide, the shimmer lines blow away the shimmer given out by a MH.

Back