AC to Canopy

haninja

Lifetime
Reaction score
<span style="font-family: Verdana;">I have an AC vent right next to my tank. I was wondering if anyone ever tried running an AC duct straight into the canopy?</span>

No, but I don't see why it could not be done. It would get awfully cold in your canopy though, not to mention it would be running even when the lights were off,so the tank may actually get too cold. How air tight is your canopy?

<span style="font-family: Verdana;">My canopy is not really air tight but I don’t see why it should be. Most of us have fans in the canopy on timers to go along with the photo period. I’m thinking you can rig some kind of booster duct fan on the same timer/circuit as the canopy fans. Should be an interesting DIY project.</span>

His house is big enough that one vent being blocked isn't going to make a difference in the overall cooling capacity of the house....

I say go for it!

Ya, one duct pointed to the canopy wouldn't make a dent on the overall cooling of the house.

Now if I can only move the tank a little to the left so I can hide the duct... LOL

haninja;199264 wrote: <span style="font-family: Verdana;">My canopy is not really air tight but I don’t see why it should be. Most of us have fans in the canopy on timers to go along with the photo period. I’m thinking you can rig some kind of booster duct fan on the same timer/circuit as the canopy fans. Should be an interesting DIY project.</span>

It shouldn't be, thats why I was asking. I would like to see what you come up with though. Sounds like an Interesting Idea. Hardest Part would be trying to hide it so you don't have some kind of ghetto air duct running up the side of your tank.

but the AC does not run 24/7, it comes on and goes off when it reaches the right temp. Unless you keep your house at like 70 I think you will have a hard time running a stable temp if you're trying to take a chiller out of service.

The only problem I see with this is the possibility of your air ducts being semi dirty and blowing junk underneath your canopy, and in turn into your tank. You know dust and junk. I could be way over thinking it though.

I run my ac into my stand, it does wonders for keeping the water cool. I run 3X400 watt MH, and only use fans for colling, and my temp never goes above 81. The air temp in the stand is usually below 70.

Reefwife;199329 wrote: The only problem I see with this is the possibility of your air ducts being semi dirty and blowing junk underneath your canopy, and in turn into your tank. You know dust and junk. I could be way over thinking it though.
You are right about that...

jmaneyapanda;199330 wrote: I run my ac into my stand, it does wonders for keeping the water cool. I run 3X400 watt MH, and only use fans for colling, and my temp never goes above 81. The air temp in the stand is usually below 70.
What a great idea. Already have a fan blowing on my sump, why not blow cold air... and it's going to be easier to hide...

I have an a/c vent in my stand.

If you wire the booster fan correctly, it will only turn on when the a/c turns on.

If your running T5, you will get a PAR boost by doing this. If possible, I would probably put a shut off on a temp sensor or maybe just shut it off when the lights go out.

Back