Acan Care

rickey

Market
Reaction score
After reading some of the info on another thread about acans I would like some of the acan owners to help us non-acan owners understand what is required and suggested for proper care, growth, and coloration of acans. Can you please post your experiences, good and bad so we can learn? I would personally like to hear what lighting, different levels of placement, flow, and feedings you do for yours. Post all the pics you want. I never get tired of other Reefers Pics.

I don't find acans very hard to keep and grow. Pretty much the color you get is what your going to be stuck with. My first one got blasted with high light and almost didn't make it. But I've seen acans at Einsten's pretty much mid way or higher in his display tanks. But that said mine are at the bottom of the tank under T5 lamps. Rainbow colors or red, oranges or bright greens are the nicer kinds. When they expand some of mine tend to loose their colors because the polyps get so big. I don't directly feed mine.

Austrailian Acans that are flooding the scene now come from very murky water and do not require a lot of light. I keep most of mine about 25 inches below my 150's,

I will just add that low magnesium can be especially detrimental to acans at least thats what I have read. For me they are easy to keep as long as your fish don't find them tasty. I keep mine on the bottom of the tank. Supposedly if you get a rainbow and put it in alot of light it will turn mostly red.

Joe

<span style="color: black">So from what I understand they can be kept in any lighting, moderate flow, benefit from target feeding though not required, should be kept at a distance from other corals because of aggressive behavior, and should have decent calcium levels thoug high is not required. Is this correct?</span>

I have had alot of acans and am having no luck with them. I had them on my sand bed and were happy for a while then they stopped being puffy and stayed like a skeleton.I moved them up higher due to my lights being three feet off the sand bed and it helped a little.Note to self, if you put an expensive coral up high make sure you glue it because I just lost my favorite acan by a fish bumping it off and it fell to the back bottom of my tank. The only way to get it is to tear the whole tank apart.This is the one that fell.
tankpictures009.jpg
alt="" />

Back