Acan colonies

grouper therapy

Supporting
Reaction score
I would like to see some of you guys' acan colonies. I've never kept any and all you see online are frags .

Mine seem to grow well for a while then just stop. I picked up a small 2 head frag a while back, it sprouted about 8-10 new heads then hasn't done much since besides look nice.

I have a few nice large acan skeletons.

Acans much like blastos like to grow off their own skeletons but not expand and grow new skeleton, causing a stall a lot of people see. If you use epoxy putty around the bottom of frags so they have something to grow onto it helps. I find if you frag them up and glue them spaced out they will spread much faster as well.

Seth The Wine Guy;1062878 wrote: Very difficult for me to grow. I'm going to try harder with them.

HiImSean;1062897 wrote: Mine seem to grow well for a while then just stop. I picked up a small 2 head frag a while back, it sprouted about 8-10 new heads then hasn't done much since besides look nice.

Seems to be par. The large colonies that I see in tanks most of the time were obtained as full colonies. They do look good though.

Here are mine. They all started as a one head frag and have grown nicely. I think the oldest one is about 6 months old.

huskerreefatl;1063049 wrote: Here are mine. They all started as a one head frag and have grown nicely. I think the oldest one is about 6 months old.
I would think that is pretty good growth then if the oldest is 6 months. Do you feed them or do any thing special beyond regular stuff.

grouper therapy;1063063 wrote: I would think that is pretty good growth then if the oldest is 6 months. Do you feed them or do any thing special beyond regular stuff.

I feed Rods daily in the morning with the system shut down for 30 minutes so that the corals catch pieces plus I spot feed about 1 a week with mysis. They have been growing like crazy. Well, the red and white one the most compared to the green one next to it. Those two are the same age. The other two have only been in the tank about 3 months. I just added to additional single heads, from AquariumDepot, last Saturday so we will see if they have the same growth.

I have a real nice Red acan colony, but I dont have time to photo it at the moment. I'll try and remember to take a picture later tonight.

His is my favorite Rainbow Acan Echinata colony.

1449790147402.jpg
alt="" /></a>

Here is a few more. Sorry the pics aren't very good.

1449790341473.jpg
alt="" /></a>

1449790071738.jpg
alt="" /></a>

1448046220730.jpg
alt="" /></a>

My Acans are NOT happy about YOUR purple frogspawn intruding on them, can you tell?
When are you coming over for puck up bud??

7BA86A38-A509-4F8B-B10B-1BC3AA7DC176_zpslxrua1nu.jpg
alt="" />

Blastos are ready too and RBTA :)

E6E0D412-2BBE-47F8-B933-1F1F6F60BF6E_zpsagmfjimq.jpg
alt="" />

80DEE91A-D3BB-47C1-98E4-2F7A84C72FBA_zpsxfguokrt.png
alt="" />
Bad pic, these are actually the deepest colors and my favorites.

Started all mine with a single head maybe in March, have the pictures of purchase.
They grow fast and easy for me but I feed heavy and skim/filter heavy because of mixed reef....
Come see me, we call cut you some!

My reef is Pest FREE I guaranteed it!
If you can find a harmful pest in my tank you can take every piece of equipment, coral and tank itself! That's how confident I am!

This old man, ha long time reefer had a long talk with me about pests when I first started in this hobby.
I listened :)

Camellia;1063127 wrote: Started all mine with a single head maybe in March, have the pictures of purchase.
They grow fast and easy for me but I feed heavy and skim/filter heavy because of mixed reef....

If you can find a harmful pest in my tank you can take every piece of equipment, coral and tank itself! That's how confident I am!

This old man, ha long time reefer had a long talk with me about pests when I first started in this hobby.

carefull there debbie someone might come plant some aptasia in your tank with that kind of offer lol

Camellia;1063127 wrote: Started all mine with a single head maybe in March, have the pictures of purchase.

Every tank has at least 1 "pest". If you are offering your setup as collateral, i'd be happy to come find it for you :up:

665a6119a823287625e267092581922b.jpg
alt="" />

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Brijesh, I've had it in my first set up, just a few before using a QT and wouldn't doubt it I get it again some day! Back then I just picked up a few peppermint shrimp who took care of them in a week. That's why I'll never keep a fish that eats shrimp, JIC :)

Crew;1063146 wrote: Every tank has at least 1 "pest". If you are offering your setup as collateral, i'd be happy to come find it for you :up:

Those little white astera stars are a pest to me. I don't like spots on my glass, so I got a Harlequin shrimp a few months back and it's done a pretty darn good job. So you win :)

I've got Brittle stars in my rocks but I've never heard them called a pest and like them. In this tank I've never, ever seen a brittle worm. It's over two years old and I'm a little OCD with my tank, lol

Honestly, I was just trying to get Dave over to clear out some space in my tank. I think he trusts me now, lol

After seeing the photos, it's certainly a beautiful tank. You've done an excellent job. But how can I pass up a free tank ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Back