Acan lord losing color and detaching

wantsummora acropora

Supporting
Reaction score
I bought two acan lords 4 days ago. They were dipped in Coral Rx and put into quarantine. I just noticed this issue yesterday as this part was not facing the front glass. I don't check Parems on this tank except temp and salinity. I do water changes every two weeks. I got a minimal feeding response when I tried to feed it. How do I save the rest? If needed, how do I remove the dead tissue (if thats the case)?

It is a single head or is the whole colony starting to go? I ask because sometimes they do lose color when stressed and they are pretty new. I have also found that damage sometimes shows up a few days after it occurs. For example, if part of it was rubbing up against the side of the bag and got irritated, it might fully expand but in a few days it will retract and show some skeleton where it was rubbed. Is the detached part just part of a single head or something bigger? Also, is the head truly detached or has it just retracted back to show some skeleton on one of the heads? A quick pic would tell us a good deal.

1 head for sure but it looks like the two small heads are the same way. I remember the LFS saying to keep them upright as much as possible but 1 did a flip on the way home. It did look detached; like a flap of skin or something like that. The first pic is from yesterday. The last from today.

Attachments

• IMG_6567.JPG
    IMG_6567.JPG
    259.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_6575.JPG
    IMG_6575.JPG
    268.8 KB · Views: 13
1 head for sure but it looks like the two small heads are the same way. I remember the LFS saying to keep them upright as much as possible but 1 did a flip on the way home. It did look detached; like a flap of skin or something like that. The first pic is from yesterday. The last from today.
Acans can be quite resilient and recover slowly and grow back from many set backs. They are also a good indicator when your nutrient levels are off- some can get super unhappy with out of whack phosphates/nitrates and retract. If you feed them, give them sufficient par levels and flow, they will recover most likely and grow back where any of the damage resulted in transport.

Back