Acans under PCs?

liverock27

Market
Reaction score
I have been surfing the internet trying to find out information on Acans for the past few days, but have come across very different opinions on lighting for them. I was wanting to hear from some fellow ARC members about thier success with Acans under different lights. I am cycling my 14g Biocube at the moment and it has 72watts of PC lighting. I was wondering if this would be enough to have acans in? Thank you in advance.
-Drew

I believe that yes it is. My Acans are doing great at the bottom of my 30" deep tank lit with 250W MH lights. A 14g with 72W of PC lights will be plenty.

Mine seem to like it in the sand. It may be that down there they get some left over fish food. I don't feed them directly but I do the following when feeding my tank (it helps all corals). I put a pinch of food in the tank then wait 5 minutes. This gives all my corals time to get ready to accept food (extend feeding tenticles in the case of the Acan). Then I feed the rest of the food to the fish. This way, any food that brushes by the feeding Acan can be captured. If you don't have fish or don't feed them frozen foods, you may want to target feed your Acans with some frozen mysis or something...

Thanks for the reply ericmcj31.
Thanks for the placement and feeding tips Schwaggs.

If you are talking Acan Lords yes they will do fine. I have many morphs of these and they are pretty bullet proof if you maintain good parameters.

acans are not light hungry corals ..they prefer more flow than anything else but not too much light sps hope this helps in some way...i say keep them in moderate ligh,with medium high flow

Thanks Darren and Victor for the suggestions. I upgraded the stock pump on my Biocube14 to the MJ900(had one laying around), so I think I am pretty good with the flow. I was more worried about the lights. I have kept sps and lps(no acans) corals in the past with much success, but that was in a much larger system with MHs. I thank all of yall that have responded to my post. There are other saltwater forums that are not half as helpful as I have found the ARC members to be. Thanks again and I wish great success with your tanks.

Back