Accidentally may have to und a way to kill gsp

bcavalli

Market
Reaction score
A few months ago, I added a purple sea fan to my DT and placed it directly over (not touching, and a couple of inches above) a really nice thick colony of gsp that had been growing for well over a year.

Over the course of two weeks, I noticed the colony receding and suddenly almost over night, it was gone. The day that the gsp died, my sea fan closed up for a few days, then reopened and has appeared to be healthy since then. I did have another small patch of gsp in the tank and it was completely unaffected.

So as a test, I placed the sea fan over the small patch of the remaining gsp and sure enough, less than 2 weeks later the patch was dead. I've read that the sea fans do release toxins and I was wondering if anyone else has experienced anything similar to this? Just a note: I did pay extra special attention to the gsp while it was receding, just to ensure there wasn't any pests.

Thanks for passing along the info. If that works and you can target the GSP by placement, there will probably be a statue of you some day.

Drydock;1047377 wrote: Thanks for passing along the info. If that works and you can target the GSP by placement, there will probably be a statue of you some day.

Lmao! I just hope it continues to be a repeatable method.

nature manages to do this somehow.... or gps would be the only thing around! i don't doubt the sea fan has something to do w it

Now that you've discovered the cure to GSP - I think I need to find a nice piece for my tank. The only reason I dont currently have it is because I'm not a big fan of introducing a plague to my tank.

Crew;1047483 wrote: Now that you've discovered the cure to GSP - I think I need to find a nice piece for my tank. The only reason I dont currently have it is because I'm not a big fan of introducing a plague to my tank.

No doubt it can overtake a reef in months. Here is a before and after shot. I guess I should have shared this before. Lol. Just a note: I did rotate the encrusted rock above sometime after the "before" shot was taken.

Before
IMAG0541.jpg
alt="" /></a>

After
IMAG1384_1.jpg
alt="" /></a>

Shrimpy Brains;1047560 wrote: Crazy cool! I'm guessing this won't work for teal palys!

+1 I've had a bout with those palys and thought I had them out, just saw a couple have come back.. ugh!

Back