Acclamation..

Reefplumber13

Market
Reaction score
I'm getting a good bit of stuff in the mail next week. Cuc, fish and corals. . How do you guys do it? Drip everything or just drip fish? I know I'll have to temp acclimate all of it.. who does what?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Dip the corals in something like Coral Rx.
Remove them from the plugs (if possible) and reattach to your own, new plugs.

Dip acclimate everything.

I've got a one gallon jug that fits inside of my 5 gallon buckets. I'll pour the contents of the bag into the jug and drip into the gallon jug until it's full. If it over flows, that's fine because it's sitting inside the 5 gallon bucket.

Once the jug is full, I lift the jug out of the bucket and pour about 1/2 into the bucket then pour the rest back into the tank.

It works for me. Sometimes I forget that I'm dripping and the 5 gallon buck has save me a lot of clean up.

jtsreef;954929 wrote: Drip everything or just drip fish?

This is backwards. Hypothetically, if you could only acclimate fish -or- inverts, go for the inverts.

Example: The Burgundy Sea Star is very intolerant of sudden changes in oxygen levels, salinity and pH of the water, and cannot tolerate copper-based medications. The drip acclimation method is highly recommended for all Sea Stars due to their intolerability to changes in water chemistry.

2: Like other invertebrates, Trochus sp.</em> is sensitive to high nitrate levels and intolerant of copper-based medications. It requires a gradual acclimation process, preferably the drip acclimation method.

I use to dip corals in Coral Rx but from now on I will be using Bayer Advanced for my corals. I floated them to temp then added the Coral RX for about 15minutes.

When I put fish in QT I test them salinity of the water the fish bag from the store and match it with my QT tank water. I drip acclimate them to the QT for about 30-45minutes, I try less because I don't want a build up of toxins in the small bag. I think shipped fish I would skip the drip.

For inverts I drip acclimate them. Usually I put them in a pitcher and trip until the pitcher is full, 20-30min at most.

With any transfer I make sure to get as little was as possible from the original source in to my DT, QT is a bit less important.

Inverts need to be dripped, fish need to be drippe if they've been in the bag for a while. If not you can just add some of your tank water to the bag a few times and your good. Coral only need temp acclimation, but a dip is a good idea.

Back