achilles tang white stringy poo!!!!

robertshaw85

Market
Reaction score
i Have had an achilles tang for about 6 months now that i have been power feedin about 4 times perday huge amounts and eats ravanously but stays terribly skinny w lateral line disease and ich. recently i noticed his poop was white and stringy which leads me to beleive parasites. i really do not want to lose this fish. any advice would b greatly appreciated. hes in a 300 gallon reef but could prob b caught if need be

I can make you a couple servings of food if you would like as i always put garlic in my food and my fish never get nothin...If you will meet me...It would be a combination of mysis rotifi and phyto with a bit of flakes and kent garlic...put money on it that it will clear it up within a week

I agree, metronidazole and garlic (best if you can dose the metronizazole in the food): but treat the fish in a bare hospital tank without carbon or a skimmer away from the desirable bacterial sinks (sand, rock, filter surfaces), as most of the imidazoles are potent antimicrobial agents as well as anthelmenic/ameobacides. Carbon has a high affinity for metro, and the calcium carbonate in live rock or sand doees as well. Metronidazole quickly decomposes at tank pH in the presence of seawater, so dosing may need to be every 6 hours in the food (if possible).

The only problem then is if there are parasites left in the tank that might re-infest the host. I guess you'll have to decide which would be the bigger problem.

I wouldn't take it out of the tank and further stress it unless you have a large QT. Soak it's nori in garlic and something like kanaplex (ask your lfs what they suggest too) and feed it to him throughout the day. Be sure you soaking pellets for him and mysis to keep him fat.

Not trying to hijack your thread. I've been going through a similar bout with my CB. She wasn't eating for a couple days so i've been treating the water itself with Metro which seems to be working slowly. She is now pecking at algae even though not swimming around a whole lot but is looking better. She has the whitish stringy poo as well. I know she's not out of the woods by no means. I think i'll have to find some of that Vitachem. It sounds good.

Back