Acoel Flatworm

mred

Supporting
Reaction score
Looks like I have an outbreak of these small flatworms (Acoel ?). This outbreak is probably due to the absence of any fish. Had a bad velvet infection (I think) and pulled all fish out for treatment in other tanks. Still have another couple weeks before I will think about reintroducing fish, so no mandarin or wrasses available.

Haven't noticed any harm to either SPS or LPS. They are on rock surfaces and on the sand bottom. What might get rid of them?
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
fieldset>

I've been lucky enough not to have gotten this particular little vermin, so I don't know if I can help you or not.

I've been reading up on then and some other types of flatworms, most everything mentions how fast the reproduce and the rate in which plague proportions can be reached. Flatworm exit is usually recommended, unless the tank is overrun with them, if too many die at the same time a toxin is released. If there are a bunch try siphoning to reduce populations then dose. I'll attach a write up from a popular club speaker

a>

Sewer Urchin;1035045 wrote: I've been lucky enough not to have gotten this particular little vermin, so I don't know if I can help you or not.

I've been reading up on then and some other types of flatworms, most everything mentions how fast the reproduce and the rate in which plague proportions can be reached. Flatworm exit is usually recommended, unless the tank is overrun with them, if too many die at the same time a toxin is released. If there are a bunch try siphoning to reduce populations then dose. I'll attach a write up from a popular club speaker

http://www.melevsreef.com/node/651">http://www.melevsreef.com/node/651</a>[/QUOTE]

Good advice! From my observation a persistent strain of the algae eating species have infected a large number of systems both commercial and private. While relatively harmless in small numbers, they do multiply surprising fast and can overrun coral and block photosynthesis from occurring.

I believe reducing feeding helps. I have had some luck with flatworm exit but they always come back

Flatworm exit, but sometimes it takes multiple treatments.
Also reduce nutrients, increase flow, and a sixline or yellow wrasse, or nudibranch.
Attack it from multiple angles.

bad combo. without melenarus wrasse, stuff like this happens.
you could try flatworm exit but im unsure the toxins will not effect the corals.

how large is this tank?

Back