Acoel flatworms clear / rust color

jrhunter0000

Market
Reaction score
OK don't know where I got them from but they are taking over I'm about to move tanks and want to get rid of them I plan on dipping everything in flatworm exit and revive all my rock will get freshwater dipped. Any ideas or tips or tricks I would love it.

Has anyone ever flatworm exit a whole tanks
? Will it kill my pod population and hermit crabs and snails. I know its the poison they release when the did but is the chemical itself a hazard? Has anyone been successfully getong rid of them ?

I uploaded a pic of what I have
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
1089111=68048-flatworms.jpg
>
1089111=68048-flatworms.jpg
class="gc-images" title="flatworms.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

I've used it for whole tanks before and haven't had an issue with my snails or pods or crabs... I thought it might hurt the snails since they are somewhat similar but not for me.

You want to have some carbon on hand to use and just siphon those lil bodies out before they decompose.

Flatworm exit will effect brittle stars and at least some snails. I used it a couple of times. Brittles come out of the rocks and kind of flop around. Some died. I forget the type of snail they were but mine were thrown for a loop. Drunken I would describe it but they didn't die.

hey mark sorry to hear you have to deal with these. ive got a couple tips that might help. first is that if you have adjustable flow power heads turn them all the way up this will keep the dead flat worms suspended in the water. next find a smaller power head, maxijet or similar and use it to blow water into all the nooks and crannys in your rocks this will help dislodge any that are trying to hide in there. and third since its advised to do a water change 1 hour after you dose the tank use the time between dosing the tank and the water change to remove as many worms as you can by taking a filter sock and holding it in front of your powerhead for a few minutes then pull it out rinse the sock in the sink to get the worms out and repeat as many times as you can. this will help reduce the toxins left in the tank from the dead worms.

after that if you have a reactor fill it with carbon and run that on your tank over the next day or so and you should be good to go. if you dont have a reactor than fill your filter sock with carbon and it will have a similar effect. keep an eye on your tank for the following week and if you see another flatworm than treat the tank again and you will most likely get them all. with the second treatment its not as important to run the filter sock in front of your power head as there wont be many floating around to catch. just change your carbon after the water change and you should be good to go.

also as long as you do a nice big water change and use carbon after you shouldnt have any effect to your snails, your pod population might take a small hit from the intense cleaning but they will recover quickly.

A quick freshwater dip will kill the flatworms on corals.

Be careful with Flatworm eXit, especially in a small tank or in any tank with a massive infestation.

I lost 7 of 13 fish way back when, in a 120 with a particularly bad infestation - and I followed the directions to the letter, and over-filtered to try to get all the toxic bodies out.

If you're going to nuke a tank with the stuff, remove the fish to another tank first. It's not worth the risk to them.

Get a wrasse if your tank is big enough. Yellow coris or Melanurus will make them gone.

Jenn

JennM;1089138 wrote: A quick freshwater dip will kill the flatworms on corals.

Be careful with Flatworm eXit, especially in a small tank or in any tank with a massive infestation.

I lost 7 of 13 fish way back when, in a 120 with a particularly bad infestation - and I followed the directions to the letter, and over-filtered to try to get all the toxic bodies out.

If you're going to nuke a tank with the stuff, remove the fish to another tank first. It's not worth the risk to them.

Get a wrasse if your tank is big enough. Yellow coris or Melanurus will make them gone.

Jenn

What about a green virus they are the sane thing right

jrhunter0000;1089144 wrote: What about a green virus they are the sane thing right
I've found that the green coris is a little more moody than a yellow. I've got a green in another tank and he picks on all my inverts.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

BrandonMason;1089157 wrote: I've found that the green coris is a little more moody than a yellow. I've got a green in another tank and he picks on all my inverts.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

I will stay away then ... I have 200 small hermits I just bought lol

Back