acro changed from green to purple.

russ-iv

Market
Reaction score
i bought a frag this past weekend that looked something like this...

wa9a_acropora_colony_45885.jpg
alt="" />

but now it morphed in to this...

2qsro00.jpg
alt="" />

not sure what to make of it. keep in mind this is my first attempt at sps. my other tanks were lps dominant.

you broke it.

haha, jk, looks pretty healthy to me. possibility that mother colony was so dense that it didn't get much light in the light colored areas

walterp1982;1038591 wrote: you broke it.

haha, jk, looks pretty healthy to me. possibility that mother colony was so dense that it didn't get much light in the light colored areas

yeah. except i debated on the acro during my crash for 2 weeks. this frag was all by it's lonesome in Rit's shop during that time.

You have different lighting and flow than Rit. I have a tyree setosa that looked bright red in Rit's tank and it's more of a blood orange in my tank. I don't think there is anything wrong with it, just a difference in lighting and flow.

Crew;1038713 wrote: You have different lighting and flow than Rit. I have a tyree setosa that looked bright red in Rit's tank and it's more of a blood orange in my tank. I don't think there is anything wrong with it, just a difference in lighting and flow.

thanks for confirming what i thought.

my question is if the base that was green changed to the same color as the tips, does that mean its getting too much light? or its growing around the base? getting rid of zoox?

change in lighting is rather vague

My guess would be the lighter green color is new growth and the purple color is older growth - IE it changes from green to purple as it ages. Maybe it's stalling from getting less light or less calcium/alk/mag? It's still fairly new to your tank, it could be adjusting still.

Which tank was it in at Rits? Was it under LEDs? T5s? What is your lighting setup?

Crew;1038726 wrote: My guess would be the lighter green color is new growth and the purple color is older growth - IE it changes from green to purple as it ages. Maybe it's stalling from getting less light or less calcium/alk/mag? It's still fairly new to your tank, it could be adjusting still.

Which tank was it in at Rits? Was it under LEDs? T5s? What is your lighting setup?

first tank in the front as you walk in. radions.

dsuny 3watt bridgelux (60 degree lense), 40% peak blues, royal blues, actinics, 20% peaks daylight and hyper white lights.

1.025 sg
10 dkh
1440 mag
0 phos (.03ppm resolution)
<1 trate
500 calcium
8.1 ph
78 all day long

it is organically rich though. i am skimmer-less.

the problem is the green was the older growth. the tips were a blueish/purple which represent zoox not yet forming on the new growth yet.
im thinking the zoox on the base where the green was is regulating to the new lighting but that would indicate it reverted to the nonzoox based purple evidenced by the tips

I'm sure as it grows out it'll have the green base/body. A lot of sps are like this.

HiImSean;1038735 wrote: I'm sure as it grows out it'll have the green base/body. A lot of sps are like this.

it had a forest green base when i purchased it though. ill just monitor this guy for the week/month and see what happens. he may not be done doing whatever he is doing.

Looks like a valida that turned into a plum color , my only thought is that I've seen many corals color up and change In different systems but never that much or in a weeks time , but im sure if it was water quality or something else it would be known to ya , keep us updated to its progress

i found a video of it the day i put it in the tank. so i did a snapshot of it and messed with the filter until i got what it looked like.

this is as close as i got but its pretty accurate.

210kcib.jpg
alt="" />

the green was slightly more of a darker "forest" green though

I wouldn't worry about it unless it started browning or bleaching really. I'm sure it will settle back to this color.

Looks very close to my tricolor acro valida. When I first got it, it was run under only T-5s and looked like this
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
1038823=62328-image.jpg
>
1038823=62328-image.jpg
class="gc-images" title="image.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

I run LEDs and within a week it morphed to this
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
1038825=62329-image.jpg
>
1038825=62329-image.jpg
class="gc-images" title="image.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Genesis;1038825 wrote: I run LEDs and within a week it morphed to this

man that looks awesome!

i kinda liked the green/blue but if it doesnt spaz on me, ill be fine with this "plum" color as well.

tbh it makes me want to find washed out acros and see what they turn in to.

Russ-IV;1038828 wrote: man that looks awesome!

i kinda liked the green/blue but if it doesnt spaz on me, ill be fine with this "plum" color as well.

tbh it makes me want to find washed out acros and see what they turn in to.

Quite a bit of people buy like browned and washed out acro that aren't doing so good and later when they return to there original color it becomes quite the reward. But it is a gamble because you don't know what kind it is ahead of time, and it's a possibility it couldn't make it

Genesis;1038832 wrote: Quite a bit of people buy like browned and washed out acro that aren't doing so good and later when they return to there original color it becomes quite the reward. But it is a gamble because you don't know what kind it is ahead of time, and it's a possibility it couldn't make it

yeah. thats why id just roll with a frag.

my tank is only a month old (from cycle) so i need to learn the nuances of my decisions. so far skimmerless has paid off but it isnt as stout as an established tank imho.

although the nitrogen bubbles in my substrate continue. idk why i keep getting them. i have a 1 inch bed but that is another discussion.

Nitro bubbles are good. It's the last step in the cycle - ammonia -&gt; nitrite -&gt; nitrate -&gt; nitrogen

Crew;1038880 wrote: Nitro bubbles are good. It's the last step in the cycle - ammonia -&gt; nitrite -&gt; nitrate -&gt; nitrogen

not when you vaccuum or stir the sand :(

2jz09i.jpg
alt="" />

ok after watching since friday. he is paling at the base up.

phos 0
trate &lt;1
sg 1.025
alk 10
calcium 440
ph 8

this is telling me it is a lighting issue but im not sure. nutrients?

Back