Acrylic/Float switch

fener103

Market
Reaction score
Hey all! Quick question, I am installing my sump into my frag system this weekend and the previous owner had an approximate 1/2 hole (non Threaded) for a float switch on a top off system. Curious on thoughts on how to plug this hole or if anyone would know where to find a float switch locally that might fill the hole even if I dont use it immediately. Thanks all

You can buy nylon nuts and screws smaller diameter than the hole. Either buy, or fabricate a couple of large (bigger than the hole) flat washers from any inert material like a plastic. Also need a couple of rubber flat washers (seals), of same size as plastic washers. Drill holes through the center of all 4 pieces. Put flat rubber next to tank (both inside and outside of hole), then plastic washer over those. Then put srew through the holes, and screw on nut and tighten. Check for leaks, but if done right, that should not be a problem. We used to keep ships from sinking in the Navy, using a similar/larger method.

Or, just put a plug/stopper in it, but this is not as secure and may leak.

Oops, I forgot. You need Grommets (rubber seals/flat washers) over the screw, on both ends just below screw head and just next to the nut, to seal there as well. Sorry!:blush:

Back