acrylic painting

kirru

Market
Reaction score
Ok, I've looked over the forums and found a few things. But I still need a few thing answered.

Well I have a 40 breeder that has the bulkhead drill on the left side while the back is painted black. Refer to pic below for actual tank:
1226082206.jpg
alt="" />

Well I have decided to build and over flow in the corner and still have that side for a small viewing area.

I only have clear 1/4" acrylic and I need it black to blend in with the back of the tank.

I have read that I could use Krylon Fusion Black and let it "cure" for about a week.

And I have also seen the use of pond foam.

Well since it will be in the tank, I will be painting only one side of the acrylic so there won't be very much to it.

So my question is which would you use and inside the overflow box or on the outside. Why?

Thanks for the help.

Pond foam! It will double in size within 24hrs of application, but you can smear it around and throw sand and small rock rubble on it to get a more natural look. Later on you can even mount frags in the stuff.

Well if you decide to paint, paint the back side so you won't have to worry about anything scratching the overflow on the front side.

Paint the back side of the overflow. Plus you don't have to let the krylon fusion cure for a week. I have put parts into service hours after painting them with that stuff.

Ok, kool, now trying to find Krylon is going to be fun. Turns out the lowes here in conyers doesn't carry it anymore. home depot or Ace does right.

Does the pond foam act like live rock and house the bacteria as well?

Not sure exactly what I'll do. I'm torn

Mmm, I see. well I think I am going to paint it black and get the deep water rock magnets and put on it, I think that would be better. IMO.

The pond foam is closed cell foam so I dont think its gonna work for a biological filter. It will get waterloged over time but there would be no water circulation. Its also really messy so if you use it then dont get it on you.

oo, yea don't wanna use that then. i think i will just paint it black. just got to cut one more piece, weld-on it together and paint.

I'll post pics when I start my build thread

When painting with Krylon Fusion, would I need to sand the side that is to be painted? or just paint right on to it?

Everything I've painted with Krylon Fusion I've just wiped clean with alcohol and a lint-free cloth, then sprayed right on. If you were using regular paint, then you'd want to lightly sand, but not with the Fusion.

Most auto parts stores carry it.

Ok, I'll just clean it well before I start. I found Krylon at Ace Hardware

Remember, lots of light coats do better than a few heavy coats. I know they advertise that it doesn't run, but it can if you spray it on heavy enough. Most stuff I spray paint I end up with like 3 coats of base, 3-4 coats of color, and 4-5 coats of clear (mostly for interior car parts so they have the same look as exterior pieces).

I would go with at least 3 coats of Fusion.

Ok, well I have built the over flow and need help deciding how it should be placed, on one piece it comes out 7" and the other is 5.5"

Its as tall as the tank inside. I also need suggestions on how far to cut it down without or barely showing the water line.

1230082238.jpg
alt="" />
1230082239b.jpg
alt="" />

and...
1230082239a.jpg
alt="" />
1230082239.jpg
alt="" />

The first or second set... and how far down do you think? I haven't painted it yet as I'm not sure if I should paid before or after cutting the teeth

Basically you will want to cut it down so its level with the bottom of the frame. You can probably even go about 1/8" below that.

ok, here is what I am doing, 1/4" openings and 1/4" spacing and it penetrates it 1" down. I think that should be good. your thoughts?

sounds good. Make sure the teeth are around 1/8 below the frame because the water will be about 1/4" above the bottom of the teeth depending on flow.

I've actually already started cutting, only did two and the dremel battery died, but I actually and doing 1" and 2/8" i think, kind doing it quickly and i'll touch up after words. Will that be ok? If it becomes a hazard after the tank is running, what is a way to fix it? take out a tooth and make a gap, i've seen some like this on a store tank

Back