acrylic scratch removal?

billyocean

Supporting
Reaction score
Just got my wet/dry sandpaper (400,800,1000,1500,2000) and novus 1-3. I have watched darn near every video available to watch. The outside of the tank will be easily handled with the novus, no problem there. The inside of the tank is a different story. There is one area of two parallel scratches (deep) about 10 inches long on the front. My question is...if I have to use 400 or 800 grit to remove the scratches..do I have to use the same grit on the entire panel and work my way up to avoid distortion? Or can I use it in the area of the deep scratches and work my way out (as you would feather a paintbrush)? Basically...if i use a certain grit whatsoever on one panel, do I need to do the entire panel in the same grit to avoid distortion? No video really covered this topic..tank is 60x18x21. Thank YOu!

billyOcean;942681 wrote: Just got my wet/dry sandpaper (400,800,1000,1500,2000) and novus 1-3. I have watched darn near every video available to watch. The outside of the tank will be easily handled with the novus, no problem there. The inside of the tank is a different story. There is one area of two parallel scratches (deep) about 10 inches long on the front. My question is...if I have to use 400 or 800 grit to remove the scratches..do I have to use the same grit on the entire panel and work my way up to avoid distortion? Or can I use it in the area of the deep scratches and work my way out (as you would feather a paintbrush)? Basically...if i use a certain grit whatsoever on one panel, do I need to do the entire panel in the same grit to avoid distortion? No video really covered this topic..tank is 60x18x21. Thank YOu!

I don't have any expereince on a tank, but when I used to polish scratches out on arcade games protective covering using Novus we polished the area of the scratch and not the whole piece. I would think you can just work the area and polish outward. When in doubt, find a clear piece of plastic to test on.

I think it depends on how deep the scratch is. My gut tells me that if you are starting with 400 grit that you will be fine not doing the whole panel. The distortion created will probably not be noticeable.

"My question is...if I have to use 400 or 800 grit to remove the scratches."It depends on how deep the scratches are. If there light scratches are not real deep start with higher grid first.

I have a Mighty Magnet Acrylic scratch removal kit and it works great. I use it all the time. You'll need to following the directions carefully. You can't really screw up, but what you'll find if you don't do it correctly, you'll notice cloudy and blurred areas where you use the sandpaper. Just make sure you step down on each level of sandpaper grid and move back an forth till the cloudiness goes away.

My tank is dry..I understand I cant sand 400 grit and leave it at that..lol...just wondering if I need to do the entire panel from "400" up if I start with 400 on a localized area. If another panel only needs 1000 or novus 2 and up..I shall work it from novus 2 and up (and work my way to finality). This is what no video answered..if I do 1' x 1' area that requires 400....does that mean I should do my entire panel (front/inside of tank) with 400..and work my way up from 400 on the entire panel(400,800-2000-novus)?

If the scratches are concentrated in one particular area just start in that area with the lower grid and yes work your way up. You don't have to do the whole panel just the area that's scratched. You may want to experiment on the sides of the tank first before you hit the front panels.

ok. so just do an area on a side panel? I am handy in the ways of sanding.....north/south...east/west btwn grits. side panels seem to be the smarter place to start...but the sides are good to go after light sand and novus i would suspect. novus/light sand will take care of the entire aquarium except the two deep scratches in the front. I'm confident for scratch removal elsewhere..just the front that will take sanding. just two dam scratches blowing it for the front panel..lol. Thanks for all the input so far!

Like Reefkeeper said, just sand the scratched area. No need to sand the ENTIRE panel, but do it in steps and sand a progressively larger area the finer the sand paper you use until you get to just the polish.

HA! Just did the Right side panel of my tank...800/1500/2000/novus3-1. Used a palm sander through the various grits..then went back with hand and various grits on problem areas and feathered out accordingly. Looks Fantastic! Will look even better when I use a small buffer for #2 on it. I must say...quite impressed with the clarity and scratch (some quite deep..grabbing fingernails deep) removal. Very excited with the results!

Will post pics soon in a build thread..need to make headway past the tank and stand first...all pics are being taken throughout the process.

Back