Acrylic to Glass

sgt_slaughter

Market
Reaction score
Ok so most people want to know how to adhere Acrylic to Glass when building a sump and I've read plenty of discussions on this.
My question is slightly different but I need some reassurances from the greater good (ARC).

I need to adhere a rectangular piece of Acrylic to the top of the front corners of my frameless Glass aquarium.

Scenario: I am going to install a Sea Swirl in each front corner and can't use the corner mounting brackets because I don't have a frame; and I will have a canopy so I can't use the other brackets. I'm basically going to make the same shape and design as the corner mounting bracket but want to adhere the Acrylic plate to the top of the aquarium.

I'll just route out the bottom of the canopy in the corner to fit over the Acrylic plate, so that's not an issue.

What is the best way to adhere the bracket without the risk of it falling in the tank, especially since the Sea Swirl is powered?

i made my sump(glass) with acrylic baffles......used loctite super glue gel....the one in the black container...guess it would really depend on the weight of the sea swirl....and how you plan on mounting it...like flush to the rim....or on top of the rim...

Can't find weight measurements online but will receive them in a few days and can measure then.
I'll be mounting on top of the corner, not flush.

Did you find the loctite works strong? Are your baffles bowing or holding firm?

i dont have the sump anymore....sold it when i sold my system before i moved...but it worked very well...never bowed or anything....very strong bond...if you get a piece of thick acrylic then i doubt it would bow or bend at all....the sea swirl shouldnt weigh enough to do it unless you use super thin sheets...id suggest taping off the acrylic and scuff up the contact edge with some med grit sandpaper to give it a better bonding surface....thats how i did my baffles....i initially used aquarium grade silicone for the baffles but found they they didnt hold nearly as well as the super glue did...

Isn't the feed to the swirl from the top?
The pipe/tubing could act as a safety measure

LilRobb;740002 wrote: Isn't the feed to the swirl from the top?
The pipe/tubing could act as a safety measure

thats true....since you have a canopy...you could hardline the seaswirls in there and just use pipe clamps to attach the hardline to the inside of the canopy....

Back