Acrylic vs glass

kevinbeth

Market
Reaction score
I had a custom 125 ( 60 x 18 x 24)built by a member here a few years ago but the overflow in the middle is bugging me. I can't decide if I want the tank or not. I built a whole custome bookshelf to house this tank and make it a show piece. I've been looking at other tanks with the overflow in the corner. I like it much better but I keep coming across acrylic tanks. I have no experience with acrylic. Just looking for opinions?

If the overflow in the middle is black, once it has coraline on it, you'll never even notice it. Frankly, IMO for a single overflow, that's the best place for it but I understand your reservations. Acrylic has come a long way from where it was just a few years ago. I think that you'll find that most any of the larger tanks are now being built from acrylic. The old arguments of it yellowing are now gone with the newer modified acrylic that is on the market. The tank is much lighter so building a massive support structure isn't as necessary. Finally, the argument for scratching can be had for glass as well. If I ever go bigger than my 180...I'm going acrylic!

Would look better in the corner
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
1054525=64591-1444576263732.jpg
>
1054525=64591-1444576263732.jpg
class="gc-images" title="1444576263732.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

All I will say is that over the past 5 years of being with Premier we have had significantly more tank emergency calls for Acrylic tanks then glass.

kevinbeth;1054545 wrote: What kind of emergency?

Usually for seams that came apart abruptly and caused major leaking or flooding. There are various methods that acrylic panels can be "seamed" or "glued" together. Some seem to work better than others.

Another common issue is with cracking/splitting of the top brace of the tank. Most acrylic tanks have bracing or euro-bracing to prevent bowing and for extra rigidity. This doesn't necessarily cause leaks, but does usually cause more "bowing" of the tank then would normally be allowable.

While I agree that glass tanks can be easily scratched as well, acrylic tanks are significantly easier to scratch. While I haven't done much research on Acrylic tanks in the past 2-3 years, most of the ones we have out in the field definitely do not hold up nearly as long as our glass tanks. They just seem to start losing clarity after 4-5 years.

Also cost should be considered as well. Quality acrylic tanks can be anywhere from 50% more to double the cost of an equivalent sized glass tank.

The only time we go with acrylic over glass is when weight is an issue. To me it is the only true benefit.

Jakub

personally. go glass until 250-300+ gallons. then go acrylic.

lot of headaches with acrylic. glass has its share but it is mainly weight. lots of pros and cons but i think itll boil down to size and safety.

just my opinion so take it for what it is worth.

clarity is great with acrylic for a short time. hazing occurs but it is trivial to get out. glass is rougher to get scratches out.

There are some REALLY great acrylic builders around, some are sponsors, BUT I'll never have another acrylic tank. My last 120 was a very nice acrylic, but I could never seem to avoid scratching it... Eventually it's going to get scraped, even simple cleaning seemed to do it w me..... Guess I'm just accident prone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both glass and acrylic will scratch. Glass is unrepairable, acrylic is easily repairable. I've found that I tend to be less careful with my glass tank than my acrylic tank. So, my glass tank has way more scratches. I also use the right tools on my acrylic tank, so that helps A LOT!

Seams and quality: you get what you pay for. Bonding acrylic is a science. Some can do it a lot better than others. So be sure you use reputable companies. Some manufacturers use better acrylic and thicker acrylic. Same goes with glass. Glass tanks blow out all the time. Just look at the CAD lights tank that just recently blew out (check out reefs.com for the article).

What makes one acrylic brand better than another? 1. thickness. Brand A's 1/2" acrylic is .49-.50". Brand B's 1/2" acrylic is .4-.42". Brand B is cheaper because you're actually getting less acrylic! 2. Clarity. Good acrylic will not yellow or haze over time naturally. Cheap acrylic will.

Glass: starphire glass will scratch easier than regular glass.

Weight: acrylic is much lighter than glass. So, the larger you go, acrylic is your friend (weight-wise).

It's a tough call that everyone has to answer for themselves. Do it right and you'll be happy with either option. Do it wrong, and, well, you know.

Skriz;1054783 wrote: Both glass and acrylic will scratch. Glass is unrepairable, acrylic is easily repairable. I've found that I tend to be less careful with my glass tank than my acrylic tank. So, my glass tank has way more scratches. I also use the right tools on my acrylic tank, so that helps A LOT!

Seams and quality: you get what you pay for. Bonding acrylic is a science. Some can do it a lot better than others. So be sure you use reputable companies. Some manufacturers use better acrylic and thicker acrylic. Same goes with glass. Glass tanks blow out all the time. Just look at the CAD lights tank that just recently blew out (check out reefs.com for the article).

What makes one acrylic brand better than another? 1. thickness. Brand A's 1/2" acrylic is .49-.50". Brand B's 1/2" acrylic is .4-.42". Brand B is cheaper because you're actually getting less acrylic! 2. Clarity. Good acrylic will not yellow or haze over time naturally. Cheap acrylic will.

and trust me. it will.

Glass: starphire glass will scratch easier than regular glass.

Weight: acrylic is much lighter than glass. So, the larger you go, acrylic is your friend (weight-wise).

It's a tough call that everyone has to answer for themselves. Do it right and you'll be happy with either option. Do it wrong, and, well, you know.

hate this being parroted over and over again.

http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=99696&highlight=cerium">http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=99696&highlight=cerium</a>

has been repaired and will continue to be repaired. there is truth to acrylic but it is few and far between. i wont advocate one better than the other because we will just have personal feelings in the mix. my personal opinion is go glass until 250+ gallons. plastic erodes no matter the uv polymer that WILL eventually degrade.

its like comparing plastic tonka trucks with the metal ones. the metal may rust but integrity remains and can be repaired. plastic. well brittleness and deformities occur. paul b has a 44 year old glass tank. id love to see a 44 year old acrylic one.

Russ-IV;1054806 wrote: hate this being parroted over and over again.

http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=99696&highlight=cerium">http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=99696&highlight=cerium</a>

has been repaired and will continue to be repaired.[/QUOTE]

Yes, scratches in glass [I]can</em> be repaired; nothing new there. But, it's not feasible in most cases and is very labor intensive. So, for the majority of cases, it's "un-repairable". My post was based on my experiences alone. I have a glass tank and it is scratched. In order to even attempt to remedy those scratches, I'd have to empty my tank..that's not going to happen! However, I don't have to empty my acrylic tank to buff it and I'm able to remove scratches in minutes.

[QUOTE=][B]Russ-IV;1054806 wrote:[/B] there is truth to acrylic but it is few and far between. i wont advocate one better than the other because we will just have personal feelings in the mix.[/QUOTE]

I don't follow. I have no personal feelings with regards to any acrylic brands. I have brands that I like and I know to be good quality (Polycast, Reynolds, etc.) and there are others that I know to be bad quality and I don't like. Then there are brands that I've never seen or even heard of. I don't opine on manufacturers, though (except when it comes to glass cages!).

[QUOTE=][B]Russ-IV;1054806 wrote:[/B] my personal opinion is go glass until 250+ gallons.[/QUOTE]

Seems reasonable enough. I tend to look at other factors too, but certainly when you go bigger, the scales start tipping towards acrylic.

[QUOTE=][B]Russ-IV;1054806 wrote:[/B] plastic erodes no matter the uv polymer that WILL eventually degrade.

its like comparing plastic tonka trucks with the metal ones. the metal may rust but integrity remains and can be repaired. plastic. well brittleness and deformities occur. paul b has a 44 year old glass tank. id love to see a 44 year old acrylic one.[/QUOTE]

I've seen some very very old acrylic tanks on some projects. Like many things that old, they were neglected, but perfectly in tact and structurally sound. But, upgrades to larger systems retired them.

As far as residential acrylic tanks, I'm not sure if they've been around for that long. I want to say they started gaining traction some time in the 70's. But I'm not 100% on that.

Back