Actinic or 50/50 pc bulb?

gordob

Market
Reaction score
I have two 50/50 65 watt pc bulbs on my 20 gallon. With those two on there, the colors are bright, and probably more true natural colors. However, I prefer the way the tank looks with one actinic and one 50/50 bulb. Since the wattages are the same, am I getting the same amount of light either way I decide to go? Will the corals grow better under one vs. the other?

Thanks,
Brad

you would be losing some par by taking away the 50/50 and replacing it with an actinic.

Thanks Kirk. That's what I was afraid of. I feel like I've got enough lighting for a softie tank with leathers and ricordeas. Would you agree? Everything seems to be doing fine at this point, and the tank has been running for around a year.

Thanks,
Brad

I had 130W of PC lighting on my 20 gallon high tank in the beginning. It was fine for most softies. The problem with PC lighting is it doesn't penetrate the water that well and a 20 high is somewhat tall. I switched to a 150W MH sunpod and everything is happier, including my zoas, leathers, and other softies. If you and your tank inhabitants are happy with it, keep on truckin'. Just watch the placement of your corals so they get the light they need.

Back