active alk monitoring

snowmansnow

Market
Reaction score
out of all my parameters in my sps tank I can't think of one more vital to keep my eye on that alk! a swing one way or another can trigger a rtn event effectively crashing the tank in 48 hours or less.

We've been to the moon... have a live feed from freaking MARS, have extensive studies in particle acceleration, and can fire a missile around the world and hit a dime... WHY IS THERE NOT an active alk monitor?
I want to look at my apex display and see alkalinity !

face - palm

There are some coming to market.....but they are highly complex and be prepared for extreme sticker shock

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Torqued;1095529 wrote: There are some coming to market.....but they are highly complex and be prepared for extreme sticker shock

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

The ones I've seen monitor a lot of stuff at once. I don't think we need ALL THAT. Just give us something that monitors alk... It would be a fraction of the cost.

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Ive watched at least 3 versions of alk monitors and controllers pop up and disappear over the past 5 years.

The last one basically did an alk drip test twice a day and something like a hanna checker to read the results and dose accordingly, last I heard on that one was about 18 months ago.

Mindstream is still moving... But it's one that has chosen to test everything and will be a big chunk of money.

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Agree with you 100%. Temp, salinity, alkalinity & maybe calcium would carry the bulk of what I track (with a wish list item to be able to monitor magnesium w/o titration) - to your point they're the things that we know can cause lps/sps to take a nosedive fast if they're not kept stable.

I don't NEED ammonia, PH, oxygen, potassium and am kinda on the fence regarding CO2 (but I suspect this parameter is needed to derive part of their alkalinity reading). Nice to have, but not critical in my books. If presented with a choice of one that did all these versus a less expensive one that only hit what I regard as the essentials above I'd probably choose the latter unless there was some other killer feature involved in the comparison.

Insofar as Mindstream is concerned, nitrate and inorganic phosphate would have been really desireable parameters to be able to capture. But I guess they ran into reagent/testing issues on those - not that it couldn't be added to the disk at some point since the way they've designed the whole thing is that the reader's just an eye, effectively.

Back