Add a pistol shrimp? Safe with other shrimp?

phoenix20

Market
Reaction score
So I've heard that pistol shrimp and yellow watchman gobies make great friends. I've had the goby for about a year and am thinking about adding a pistol.

I have 2 fire shrimp, 2 pepp somewhere (haven't seen them in a week or two) and a cleaner. I saw a green emerald crab about a month ago but have no idea if he's still with us. So, good or bad idea to add a pistol? I've also heard they can burrow in sand under liverock and destabalize structures. Anyone like em? Nightmares with em? Is it worth the risk just to give the goby a friend?

Tank is stocked with a powder brown and purple tang, coral beauty, 2 clowns, marine betta, yellow goby, and royal gramma. I feed 2 cubes of food a day. Usually mysis and a strip of seaweed for the herbavores. Oh, and the regular clean up crew of snails and crabs.

Thanks
Mike

i had a pistol goby pair and i enjoyed them very much. let there be no doubt the shrimp will borrow somewhere, under something, never was an issue in my tank i will get another pair one day. i had a huge flat rock on the bottom and it was supported even thou he tunneled under it, i miss them.

the pistol is basicly blind i don't think he will cause any trouble with other shrimps, mine stayed very close to the entrance hole and stayed very busy maintaining the borrow to be bothered by anything esle. hope that helps

My 2 cents:

showthread.php

I've got a tiger pistol paired with a watchman goby and had no issues. I built the tank with the rock on the bottom and filled in around it to help stabilize for their tunnelling. I also have a few fire shrimp and some peppermints and they have no issues. The peppermint actually hangs out with the tiger and watchman and they are more of a trio than anything. I love watching them and luckily their main burrow is up front where I can see it.

Back