Add Live Rock

rodasphoto

Market
Reaction score
Does anyone put anything on the bottom of their tank before adding live rock besides sand?

My previous tank had eggcrate from the previous owner on the bottom of the tank.

Do the rock before the sand. The last thing you want is a goby rearranging your landscaping and have to deal with shifted rocks.
I've seen people use egg crate before but I think they do it to keep the bottom from getting scratched.

telsonman;1113547 wrote: Do the rock before the sand. The last thing you want is a goby rearranging your landscaping and have to deal with shifted rocks.
I've seen people use egg crate before but I think they do it to keep the bottom from getting scratched.

Good deal. That is what I was thinking but wanted to make sure.

Also is there any good way to cut live rock so it is flat on the bottom? I want to minimize my rock falling over and plan to use the fiberglass rods road markers to hold up my rock structure.

I been placing rock directly on bottom glass for yrs. No problems.

Rodasphoto;1113554 wrote: Good deal. That is what I was thinking but wanted to make sure.

Also is there any good way to cut live rock so it is flat on the bottom? I want to minimize my rock falling over and plan to use the fiberglass rods road markers to hold up my rock structure.

What kind of rock are you using? ********* you can typically fit together pretty easily. Most live rock is stackable.

You don't need to really worry about it being flat on the bottom. If you can get the pieces to fit together, they'll be fine. Also, you're rock will have more of a natural look, and it will give some critters a place to go. I have a diamond goby that dug a cave out under a rock, and had it been flat bottomed, he wouldn't be doing that.

If you need some rods I have 2 extra. You can cut the rock with a hacksaw

telsonman;1113547 wrote: Do the rock before the sand. The last thing you want is a goby rearranging your landscaping and have to deal with shifted rocks.

That. But skip the eggcrate. All those little pockets trap detritus, which is bad.

Who cares if the bottom gets scratched? If the rock doesn't scratch it, the sand will. Nobody looks through the bottom.

Rockslides due to burrowing fish is no picnic ;)

Jenn

Back