Adding 2-part to ATO water

jonboyb

Market
Reaction score
Going out of town for about 7 days and my little 28 really depleats calcium and alk and while I have someone coming by to feed, I hate to rely on them to dose. I know you can't mix 2-part together, but could I add it to my top-off water without having crystalization issues? I evap about 1/3 gallon per day due to my thermoswitched fans and I would need 6ml of part A and B per 1/3 gallon. Any advice?

I wouldnt mix the two. I would just take your daily doses of each, and put them in small tupperwares labeled for each day, and have who ever is feeding dump them in. You could try to doubled your doses of each, and have them dump calcium one day and alk the next day. That may help. I have never used two part, but thats what I would do.

I don't see what would be wrong with dosing your top off water. How big of a container are we talking? Can you put a powerhead in it as well?

It's approximately 3 gallons and I could throw a nano in I suppose. I mixed the 2-part in a very small amount of water and haven't noted any crystalization or sedimentation. I think it'll be OK especially in larger water storage. Apparently they are only reactive when placed together directly.

Was the water you tested it out in RO or Salt? I wonder if there's a problem mixing it in fresh water as opposed to salt? i would also think that your tank would be OK without dosing for a week. JMO.

I keep Aquavitro 8.4 and Calcium in my ATO. I go through 5 gallons in 2 days though. I have had no issues.

Good Luck!

if your ATO is a float switch and a relay, just have it trip two pumps instead of one and use two buckets of top off water. Just put the outlets on opposite sides of the tank.

EnderG60;321166 wrote: if your ATO is a float switch and a relay, just have it trip two pumps instead of one and use two buckets of top off water. Just put the outlets on opposite sides of the tank.

Thats a little over the top. All he needs to do is have whom ever is feeding put calcium one day and alk another... by far the easiest way to do things!

You guys are over thinking it!

If I have to leave town and have someone come over, I have syringes pre-loaded with each part in ziplock baggies labeled for each day.
just have em squirt one in sump, one in DT... problem solved, and unless the skip a day and try to make it up, little chance of a uh-oh.

rostato;321289 wrote: Thats a little over the top. All he needs to do is have whom ever is feeding put calcium one day and alk another... by far the easiest way to do things!

You guys are over thinking it!

+1

:lol2:Maby he could add an IV dripper for each. Or a dossing pump. :lol2:

Well, returned from the 7-day trip and my ALK had dropped from 9-10 to 6 with the tank being dosed 3 times instead of daily (I couldn't ask him to be there everyday to dose). Calcium remained acceptable and dropped from about 450 to 425. Man this little tank is finicky about ALK. Everything seems happy and healthly even though ALK plummeted so now I can get it stable again.

Back