Adding a 2nd Clown.... tips?

linda lee

Market
Reaction score
If you have a single clownfish, can you add a 2nd one of the same species as a companion for it? If so, are there particular tips/guidelines to make the addition successful?

Check your pm....... The Clarkii got along fine with these two largew percs!

Just make sure it is much smaller and watch them closely - the start out male and one will grow and turn into a female. They do not always get along, so be ready to save one. Changing the envirnment when you put the second one in might help a bit.

I feel like I post this once a week. Th
is has everything you need to know. Good luck
showthread.php

When choosing the new clown from a group, don't get the biggest one. That will assure that you're getting a male. If you have a single clown, it is a female. They're heteromorphic. This way you'll have a better chance of them pairing rather than fighting for dominance.

I forgot all about critter keepers. I've used those for everything from eels, to triggers, to tangs, to cuttlefish, to clowns, to mimic octopus, to.. you get the idea. You can get a small one for about $2 that should be large enough for a new clown.

linda are you going to qt the fish?

ifso somepeople i know put the senior clown(older) in the qt after the 6 weeks intill they stop nipping and intro the clowns in the tank at the same time.

I usually always agree with Danny (out of fear of a tenacous argument if for no other reason) but the clown in question was mine for about a year (give/take) and I know it's history.

It has killed one other clown, introduced two days after it, that was slightly smaller than it was. And after months of being the only clown in the tank, out of desperation for lack of space I introduced two large percs (that the clarkii obviously didn't like) that were just too large to fight, so he tolorated them.

My first thought is to look for a larger clarkii. If you can't find one, or that doesn't work, then try smaller, but I know through past experience, he has killed smaller fish than his/her self before.

Now, from multiple sources, I've always heard and read that the larger of the mated pair would be the female, and in fact, the larger clowns in general are females. I've seen clarkiis much larger than Linda's before, so I'd think her's is still male and she could purchase a female.

But then again, I'm giving opposing info to that of Danny, so I might be talking out my azz.

(waiting for enlightenment)............

Dakota9;91012 wrote: I usually always agree with Danny (out of fear of a tenacous argument if for no other reason) but the clown in question was mine for about a year (give/take) and I know it's history.

It has killed one other clown, introduced two days after it, that was slightly smaller than it was. And after months of being the only clown in the tank, out of desperation for lack of space I introduced two large percs (that the clarkii obviously didn't like) that were just too large to fight, so he tolorated them.

My first thought is to look for a larger clarkii. If you can't find one, or that doesn't work, then try smaller, but I know through past experience, he has killed smaller fish than his/her self before.

Now, from multiple sources, I've always heard and read that the larger of the mated pair would be the female, and in fact, the larger clowns in general are females. I've seen clarkiis much larger than Linda's before, so I'd think her's is still male and she could purchase a female.

But then again, I'm giving opposing info to that of Danny, so I might be talking out my azz.

(waiting for enlightenment)............
wrong once a clown fish becomes the dominant fish in a tank it will become a female doesnt depend on size of the clown. Once a female is changed she cannot go back to male if a larger female is introduced. They will simply fight all the time. If she wants to pair them she needs to get a much smaller fish and go from there. Read the thread I linked.

Ah! That's a new one on me, the part about a solitary (Dom) clown becoming female regardless of size.

And in the back of my mind, I new not to question Danny.......

But none the less, that fish is like me.

It's killed before, it will kill again.

(I'll say no more...)

Dakota9;91078 wrote: Ah! That's a new one on me, the part about a solitary (Dom) clown becoming female regardless of size.

And in the back of my mind, I new not to question Danny.......

But none the less, that fish is like me.

It's killed before, it will kill again.

(I'll say no more...)
Well size is a factor dont get me wrong but not the only factor. Some fish grow slower then others but from my understanding once dominance is established the sex change can be rather quick. As fast as a week from reports Ive read on fish sites. How long was the fish the only dominant clown in a tank?

Can't remember when exactly I got that fish, I think it was last november, bought another smaller fish two days later, and it didn't last six hours. After that, it was the only clown in the tank until september.

Too many to read but Ill give you my 2 cents. Im sure this may be the exception but....

I had 2 clowns (same species) one small, one medium. About 3 months later purplegorilla was getting rid of one and I took him/her. This one was twice the size of the medium one. The largest was placed in a 24 Nano (I know) with the other two. From that moment on and 3 weeks later putting them in a 54 corner they were best of friends from the first drop in the 24 tank together.

They are all inseperatable...Again, maybe the exception, maybe not...

Dakota9;91102 wrote: Can't remember when exactly I got that fish, I think it was last november, bought another smaller fish two days later, and it didn't last six hours. After that, it was the only clown in the tank until september.
a clown that was alone for almost a year certainly would have changed to female. I would go with as small of a clown as possible and slowly introduce to each other. I mated my GSM Clown about 2 weeks ago all i did was add a tiny GSM and it was love after 24hrs.

Back