adding an anemone

qasimja

Market
Reaction score
i believe im going to add an anemome into my tank in the next week most likely a rose tip anyone else have one? anything i should look out for? i have a MH fixture 2x 250w hqi with 4x 54w T5

Place it where you're absolutely sure you don't want it :p That way you know that's the last place it will ever settle down!

walterp1982;1042995 wrote: Place it where you're absolutely sure you don't want it :p That way you know that's the last place it will ever settle down!

Hahaha - Great advice!

They can/will move about the tank if they do not like where you situate them. Be prepared to keep powerheads covered until it has found a home.

I got one this week who is hanging out in a cave of my rock stack. Seems happy enough (extended and colorful) but I'd like it to move into an area I can see it more, feed it and get enough light. I've read that they take their own sweet time in finding the spot that's right for them.

Don't be surprised if it shrivels up shortly after you acclimate it. This is normal, for a brief period of time. They expel most of the water in their tissue, and then reinflate with new water. It's called water-changing. Since they are mostly water, they can shrivel up pretty small, and it can be rather alarming.

As long as it attaches its foot, just be patient, it will fluff up again. They like to wedge their foot in a crack or crevice in the rocks so that's where it will likely end up.

Jenn

Hopefully the spot it likes is out in the open lol

Sent from my ls990 using Tapatalk

McPhock;1043102 wrote: ... keep powerheads covered until it has found a home.

SO very true! Also if you can buy one that's already attached to a piece of live rock, that might help it from getting wanderlust.

JennM;1043120 wrote: Don't be surprised if it shrivels up shortly after you acclimate it. This is normal, for a brief period of time. They expel most of the water in their tissue, and then reinflate with new water. It's called water-changing. Since they are mostly water, they can shrivel up pretty small, and it can be rather alarming.

As long as it attaches its foot, just be patient, it will fluff up again. They like to wedge their foot in a crack or crevice in the rocks so that's where it will likely end up.

Jenn

Great advice, as usual, Jenn...that was my experience. The pink nem in the pic below was about the size of a nickel when I put it into my tank. It disappeared shortly thereafter, and then reappeared about 3 mos later and looked like it does in the pic.

20150715_183519.jpg
alt="" />

Well 3 months is a long time for one to disappear from view.

But it's not unusual for them to be funky for a day or two.

Jenn

Anemones are weird people. They do all kinds of things that will make you wonder what is going on.

"Don't Panic" in large, friendly letters.

Here's my nem. Just hanging out inside the rock stack. I included a pic of my tank (60 cube) for reference. It's down toward the bottom, center front just below that green/blue mushroom. Now, if it would just come out and settle itself in front, I'd be happy.

File%20Jul%2019%206%2054%2017%20AM_zpscs8owutq.jpeg
alt="" />

File%20Jul%2019%206%2054%2039%20AM_zpsmomfmdf3.jpeg
alt="" />

Back