Adding coral

Jeremey’s reef

Reaction score
How long should one wait before adding coral? I had a lot of losses in the earlier stages of my 29 adding coral just 2-3 months after adding fish but as I make my next tank purchase in 2 weeks or so I want to show more patience as I lost some expensive pieces such as 2 scolymia, some sps I tried and even on the lower end about 5 different candy cane frags. I will be taking @hzheng33 advice and spend money on the front end investing in adequate equipment and doing more research on products before making my future purchases, lighting, skimmer, reactors, wave maker (etc) but as stated earlier in the post I don’t want to add coral to early. So my question is, is there a sweet spot in reference of months when adding coral once you have your setup fully in tact?

I set my tank up , let it cycle , have it an extra week then I added lots of coral before I ever added any fish . Probably 15 frags right off the bat . Got my parameters steady and added fish a month after that . Fish are little poop machines , my thoughts are the corals help uptake nutrients so I wanted to get them established first ..which is backwards from the way most people do it , but it worked for me .

I set my tank up , let it cycle , have it an extra week then I added lots of coral before I ever added any fish . Probably 15 frags right off the bat . Got my parameters steady and added fish a month after that . Fish are little poop machines , my thoughts are the corals help uptake nutrients so I wanted to get them established first ..which is backwards from the way most people do it , but it worked for me .
Every reef is different I can’t say I will be going this route as my main reason for the upgrade is the want of tangs I absolutely must have a purple tang it is my favorite of all tangs

Back