Adding fish time table

rodasphoto

Market
Reaction score
I recently finished cycling a tank and added 3 small chromis on the 10th of March. I tested my water shortly after and only had 5 ppm of nitrate. I was wondering when would it be advisable to put my next fish in? I have 2 clowns from my old tank that I need to transfer as I begin tearing it down. I would like to add a pair or 3 lyretail anthias next.

Do you plan on keeping the chromis? They can be very territorial and aggressive with new fish... but 2 weeks should be ample time before adding new tank mates. What size tank do you have?

ttheus;1023305 wrote: Do you plan on keeping the chromis? They can be very territorial and aggressive with new fish... but 2 weeks should be ample time before adding new tank mates. What size tank do you have?
I do plan on keeping the chromis. I like the way they look. I have a 65 gal. I plan on the aforementioned anthias, 2 snowflake clowns, a green mandarin and possibly stop there or add 1 more fish.

I really like mandarins!! Just make sure your tank is established and well stocked with pods.

Rodasphoto;1023333 wrote: I need to set up my fuge before I even dream of getting the Mandarin

Good answer...I'd make sure my LFS has a supply of them too, because it may become necessary to supplement unless you get one that will take frozen or pellet foods.

Clowns will survive in a toilet bowl so adding them at this stage should be fine ( assuming all traces of ammonia are gone). I would hold off on a this's and mandarin. there are lots of people online successful training their mandarin to take frozen even dry pellets, although the methods can be very cruel and expensive.

Keep an eye on water quality but usually adding a small fish or two at one to two week intervals is fine in most instances. As long as you don't over-feed you should be fine.

5 PPM nitrate is not the end of the world but mind it doesn't keep climbing. What kit are you using to test? Most people aim for zero nitrate but that's not always realistic.

And yes, you'll need to make sure there is ample food supply for a Dragonet. Your other selections aren't major competitors for food for it, so you should be good once you have a suitable pod population established, and/or plan to supplement. Don't bank on the Mandarin taking prepared foods - that's hit or miss on a good day.

Jenn

JennM;1023831 wrote: Keep an eye on water quality but usually adding a small fish or two at one to two week intervals is fine in most instances. As long as you don't over-feed you should be fine.

5 PPM nitrate is not the end of the world but mind it doesn't keep climbing. What kit are you using to test? Most people aim for zero nitrate but that's not always realistic.

And yes, you'll need to make sure there is ample food supply for a Dragonet. Your other selections aren't major competitors for food for it, so you should be good once you have a suitable pod population established, and/or plan to supplement. Don't bank on the Mandarin taking prepared foods - that's hit or miss on a good day.

Jenn
I am using red sea test kit. I need to recheck it before I do a water change this weekend. I have my skimmer running now in the tank and need to set up my media reactor as well.

I also have 2 anemone from biocube that I would like to add. The rock used to cycle the tank was previously used in a tank but was left in uncirculated and unheated water. Is it still suggested that I wait 6 months or can I add it sooner?

It's not necessary to wait 6 months. When the tank is stable and consistent, you're good to go.

JennM;1024189 wrote: It's not necessary to wait 6 months. When the tank is stable and consistent, you're good to go.
Dumb question but how can I tell my tank is stable? Is it when when I have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and as close to 0 nitrates for a period of time?

And when pH, temperature and specific gravity are stable, yes.

Back