Adding frags to fish QT tank?

NanCrab

Supporting
Reaction score
I have a question. Since we primarily want to keep and grow corals with a few shrimp and some (but not predominantly) fish, could I possibly add frags to my QT tank? I've not used any copper in it, only Metro soaked food and paragard.
The lighting is just the led's that came pre installed in the canopy. I have a HOB filter and a long strip air stone for some current. I'd like to get my frags dipped and started during my tank build if possible. I know corals have different needs than a pair of clowns. We would like to possibly pick up a few pieces from the Feb meeting and maybe accept the offers of free corals I've gotten from the amazing people here. Figured they could be getting. QT'd and treated (no offense) while we get the DT done.
What do you think?

Personally, I’d be patient with it. You’re literally months away from corals being added to the DT, and your risk is certainly higher with a 13G without cycled media/liverock in the QT.

Guess I didn’t fully answer the question: no problem adding corals to a QT with fish, if all you’re doing is observing. Metro in the water column might irritate them, though.

The risk, however, is if the clowns do have something like velvet or ich, the likelihood that tomonts attach to the frags or corals is higher.

Personally, I’d be patient with it. You’re literally months away from corals being added to the DT, and your risk is certainly higher with a 13G without cycled media/liverock in the QT.
Bummer but thank you for your response

Haha, don’t be bummed! You can certainly try with the weeds like GSP, Xenia, mushrooms, palys, etc. In fact, next time we visit my FIL off Mt Moriah I’ll drop some off for ya ;)

Haha, don’t be bummed! You can certainly try with the weeds like GSP, Xenia, mushrooms, palys, etc. In fact, next time we visit my FIL off Mt Moriah I’ll drop some off for ya ;)
Awe, you are too kind

Your water parameters would be all over the place with any substantial corals , and possibly killing something causing more issues or crashing a QT . Don't be the guy that crashes a QT:D

Your water parameters would be all over the place with any substantial corals , and possibly killing something causing more issues or crashing a QT . Don't be the guy that crashes a QT:D
Ok Eric...I won’t be the gal that crashes the QT :p:p

Ok Eric...I won’t be the gal that crashes the QT :p:p

This is why I use “dude”. It’s gender non-specific when you’re originally from SoCal. ;)

Honestly, I’d say stick with your plan of throwing some copper in there and eradicating all the germo dudes.

If I could go back in time and give myself one piece of advice, it would be... go slow and be patient. I'd want on the coral, in the QT. You may need to add copper, and then you are stuck.

This is why I use “dude”. It’s gender non-specific when you’re originally from SoCal. ;)

Honestly, I’d say stick with your plan of throwing some copper in there and eradicating all the germo dudes.
Thanks guys!

You’ll be growing sticks in no time! I’m not that far ahead of ya, my tank is only 6 months. I’ve got coralline finally growing and my SPS are starting to encrust the rocks I glued em to. What’s left on the DT?

Back