Adding more Zoas

catgirl29

Market
Reaction score
Question -

I love Zoas. I also love the Frogspawn, Duncans and other LPS corals I have in my tank.

I've heard something about running carbon if I'm going to mix the two. Anyone got any advice? I want to grow my Zoa garden I don't want to endanger anything else in the tank.

Am I worrying for nothing?

Catgirl29;1043612 wrote: Question -

I love Zoas. I also love the Frogspawn, Duncans and other LPS corals I have in my tank.

I've heard something about running carbon if I'm going to mix the two. Anyone got any advice? I want to grow my Zoa garden I don't want to endanger anything else in the tank.

Am I worrying for nothing?

Nope. Corals of different types can start chemical wars when they think their area is being encroached upon. Palythoa toxin is no joke. Carbon is always a good thing to run.

You could also run Purigen if you'd rather go that route.

I am actually already running Purigen. I've refreshed it twice (even though it never really has ever turned the "deep brown" the instructions mention). No need for both Purigen and carbon? My water is pretty clear.

I am going to tell my experience. I have run sps, Lps mainly euphyllia, zoa/palys, clams and many fish for a very long stretch of time without carbon, phosphate remover, and water changes without any issues. I do have a optimal protein skimmer and a decent cleanup crew. I would say my biological filtration is optimal as well.

I personally believe that as long as you don't over stock a tank you can get by with very little. Water turnover and powerheads to keep debris suspended and collected is important. Remove waste before they have an opportunity to cause a problem.

hold on. ...

is your tank to the point where the corals are going to grow into each other? I mean if you have a fairly young tank and things are spaced out....... I personally wouldn't worry about it. Except in a few cases, I feel like carbon is just something else to keep up with.. but thats just me.

If you still have lots of room in the tank, then I wouldn't worry about it right now.
B

My experience is very similar to FF337s

75g, no carbon, no purigen, no filter sock, no dosing of anything, no water change for over 2yrs now, RO water top-offs only, and a Reef Octopus NW110...all LPS and softies...everything is touching everything, lol

2015-02-03%2017.31.21.jpg
alt="" />

Beautiful! Thanks for the input everyone. Getting more Zoas this weekend and will post pics in my build thread once they're settled.

Back