Adding new tank to existing system

gordob

Market
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to set up a 120 and add it to my existing system of a 60 gallon frag tank and a 40 gallon sump. The frag tank is jam packed with everything, minus sand, that was in my 90 gallon. I'm planning to put new, dry sand into the 120, and then move everything from the frag tank into it. The frag tank is plumbed separately from the 120, but they will both run through the same sump (with separate hard plumbing).

Here's my question: Can I avoid a cycle in the 120 by adding it to the existing system, or do I need to somehow run it on its own for a bit, and let it cycle? I thought about using Seachem Stability to help. The thing that concerns me is the sand. Otherwise, it seems like it would basically be a giant water change.

Thanks for the help!

Could u just add the sand slowly to reduce the chance/length of a cycle even more?

As in a 1/4 one week, 1/4 the next, etc...

What type rock will be in the new tank? Live rock will cause a cycle but you may be ok with something like dry Marco Rock.

Thanks guys!

Larry: I'm just moving the rock over from the frag tank, and leaving frags where they are.

Thanks, Brandon! I appreciate you sharing your experience. I actually thought about adding some base rock to the new tank too, so it sounds like I'll be ok to do that.

Got it. Thanks guys! Andy, you gonna come help me set it up? Lol

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

leveldrummer;953637 wrote: Do you need the help? Im not really THAT far away.

Nah, I'm only kidding. Not quite finished touching up the stand and canopy yet, so it may be another week or so before I get it going.

Back