adding sand

jimbracco

Market
Reaction score
so during my last week of lots of water changes and sucking out red slime if lost some of my sand bed and i would like to build it back up.
Something tells me just adding sand on top of the old is a bad idea, so i thought i would ask :)
I DO NOT NEED any more nitrates, thank you very much.
so, what then, gently "move" a corner of the tank over like a bulldozer or something?

To add to Dawgdude's post: Do not add any more then 1/4 of an inch at a time and wait atleast a week before adding another 1/4".

i wanted to add about 20lbs of live sand ..its a 75 gal tank. you rinse live sand? thought that would lose its good stuff...i could use more good stuff :)

<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">This just raised a question for me. How deep should the sand be in a display tank that does not have a refugium?</span></span>

jimbracco;188865 wrote: i wanted to add about 20lbs of live sand ..its a 75 gal tank. you rinse live sand? thought that would lose its good stuff...i could use more good stuff :)

No you do not need to rinse live sand (bought in the bag). IMHO, you should be careful about using sand from someone's tank.

Dave;188871 wrote: <span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">This just raised a question for me. How deep should the sand be in a display tank that does not have a refugium?</span></span>

Now you are going to open a debate!!!! Get ready for a fight, where is Lee?!? :yes:

Naw, IMHO it should be at least 4". I think you should have a deep sand bed somewhere in your tank and if you do not have a fuge then your display is the only place!

oh i would never take sand from someones tank, unless it was an initial setup. on thickness, i would say it depends on square footage, how much of that is taken by liverock placement and what kind of critters utilizing the sand (ie whether you have a sand sifting star, etc)

I have some n. snails and a sand sifter star, and have had luck with a 2" bed in a 75 gal bowfront...no fuge to speak of.

A) Remember that sand breaks down about .5" every 6 months

B) It is a good idea to plan your sand bed to be either: i) less then 1.5" or ii) over 3" but not inbetween.

with that being said i have never thought about this.....so do you normally have to add sand to a reef tank? like in the long run? 1 time a year or something?

dawgdude;189012 wrote: You only have to add sand if you have less sand than you want :) Your sand doesnt go anywhere so once you have enough for your taste, you just leave it and dont disturb it......ever........for any reason......just dont do it.....k?

Sorry Charlie.. I am calling the fact police on that one... Sand degrades over time and will add some amount of Ca to your tank. I brakes down at a rate of about .5" every 6-9 months. So to answer the original question, yes at some point you will need to add sand. Again, do not add more then about 1/4" per week or two.

about once a year, I add a 5 pound bag of "live sand" (really a waste of money, but I don't have to rinse it). I rinse the bag and skit the top. I place the entire bag in the tank and let it pour out need the bottom of the tank. It clears up in a few hours. If course, it's only 48" Long(55).

Ya, see if you can dig that up. I would be interested to see the write-up. I could understand if he was talking about the ocean, that is a given, but I find it hard to believe that there is enough breakdown in a tank to amount to the loss due to the breakdown of sand and the loss of sand being displaced into filters, sumps, ect. I mean, where is the "other things" that are breaking down in the tank to create a static level in the sand bed? Rock?

Back