Adding T5 lighting to LED

dolfan

Market
Reaction score
I'm looking for recommendations for an addition to my Current USA LED light.

Today I run a 36" Current USA LED on my 90g tank. I've had good luck running this light for 2 years with a prospering large frogspawn, a good colony of mushrooms, assorted zoes and a RBTA, but now I have ventured into the land of SPS and know I need more and better lighting. My plan is to add a retro T5 with 2 39w 36" bulbs.

My question is mainly on the bulb combination. My initial thought is to run 1 ATI Aquablue Special and 1 ATI Blue Plus. My thought here is that I cover a large spectrum of both daylight and blue/purple to augment what the LED is doing today.

If there are other thoughts on the bulb selection I'd like to hear your thoughts. Thanks.

With two bulbs it gets tough. You definitely need 1 Blue+ but for the other you might want to look at a Coral+ or a Purple+
Both have less green than the Aquablue and will help bring out the reds better in the tank, with the Purple+ being more pronounced.

I ran 4 bulbs on my 210 display, 3 Blue+ & 1 Purple+ with it being in the front pairing.

In the end it depends on what kelvin level you like to look at.

I looked more and I did swap out to the Coral + after a closer look. This is all to supplement and I can vary my white and blue in the LED, so I think this will just help increase my overall light level and spectrum coverage.

My setup was with leds too. You'll be surprised how much light even 2 bulbs will put out. Good reflectors is key and the LET retrofit's have good ones. It's just the bare clip on reflectors though, so take care with water splashing. It will mar them irreparably.

I support @anit77 . Definitely a Blue+ for the first T5, and maybe another Blue+ for the second T5, Keeping in mind that the Orbit Marine has some good white light already. But Coral+ and Purple+ are also good options.

I ran 2x 48” Orbit Marines on my first tank and was growing a few cornbred Acros. 1 Orbit Marine is definitely not enough on its own, but with that little extra help, you’ll do well!

Over frag tanks all I use is Blue+. But even with leds, full 20k+T5 is tough on the eyes for a deeper display.
I was only running them 5.5 hours a day and when I'm at work it doesn't matter. When you're there to see it though, it's too blue and washes a lot of the red out. Yellow is tough too. Think looking at your tank with just the blue channel leds on, only whiter and much brighter. Most corals look damn good but fish and anything else that doesn't fluoresce look like crap.

Back