Adding T5 Supplement to LED Tank

francoerick

Reaction score
Hey Gals/Guys,

I am considering adding a T5 Retrokit to my system and I am not completely sure on how to do it. Right now, I am using 4 Ecotech Radion XR30 lights and they are suspended using the RMS Arms and Rail. I do not use a canopy over the tank so that complicates things a little bit. I just want to know if anyone has seen this situation before or if they can provide some insight. Also, I would like to know what brand of T5 retrokit to go with. Thanks in advance!!

-Erick

Since you don't use a canopy you're going to want something very clean looking... perhaps something like this:

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/60-hybrid-t5ho-4x80w-fixture-with-led-mounting-system-aquatic-life.html

Thank you! I have never even heard of this before. I will put a order in for this unit if no one else has any more recommendations.

I agree, assuming that particular one meets your needs, will work with your LEDs, since you don't have a canopy.

You're going to be hard pressed to come up with something as refined as Aquatic Life rack for the money. The fact that it comes with two full 80w T5 kits is pretty great for that price, two LET kits cost $310 alone.

I'd say jump on it and get 3 Blue+ and one Purple+ for the bulbs. That puts you at $550 out the door and delivered.

I would pull the reflectors out when you get it and clear coat them. It will protect them from salt spray. You also might want to see if you can reconfigure the wiring so the cords both come out on the same side, unless having one cord on each side is ok for you.

I think you will find that supplementing your leds will really add alot of color and growth that you wont get with leds.  The bulbs Adam are using are amazing.  The only difference is I use Coral+ instead of Blue+.

Thank you so much guys! I will pull the trigger on this right now! I just have to make sure that I can fit 4 xr30w in the unit.

I have a question about T5. Would Blue+ bulbs add par or just a different spectrum would be covered? I know that the radions color up sps really well, but it seems like everyone feels that adding T5 will take coloration and growth to the next level. I just want to understand why.

T5s will increase par levels and cover spectrums (dependant on bulbs) that are lacking with most led.  It also creates a difused light source for better coverage and resolves shadowing (as colonys grow) that we all experience with leds.

For me, T5's aren't so much about appearance, but for par across the usable spectrum. I run them for 5.5hrs a day from 11:30 to 5. So I'm not home most of the time when they are on anyway. When I am there the 1 Purple+ makes the reds pop a little better. I use them primarily for growth and coral health. We have our led's for viewing and with you having 4 XR30's you have more than enough light for that.

Here's a link to ATI's bulg combo page.

https://www.atinorthamerica.com/combos-4-bulb-fixtures/

Back