Additional tank setup question

bkostuch

Market
Reaction score
So I have been running along just fine and happy with my 120 but got the opportunity to jump all over a 27g cube. I am not sure if i will run it as a frag tank or what yet, so on to my question. I am planning on plumbing this into my main tank as well as I have room and my DC12000 is running at like 35% currently.

1. Over the next few water changes, can I use the water I take from my DT and use it in the cube? I would really like to reduce an additional cycle if its plumbed to my DT. I understand I will still have a mini cycle due to adding the rock/etc.

2. What other challenges might I run into here? If I can do #1 above, I wouldn't turn on the flow to the tank until it was full.

My concern here is that when we do water changes, we are doing them for a reason, and putting that water back into the same line might be more harmful later?

Thanks guys :)

Brent

Brent...IMO, plumbing two systems together is a bad idea. If the DT gets something then everything has it. If you bring in a frag that has something then the DT has it. I believe that a frag and/or QT tank must be plumbed completely separate from your DT.

Jeff brings up a great point. It is a risk if you don't quarantine prior to adding fish or coral to any system. But, you have seen my system. It works for me having everything tied into together, sharing equipment and a sump. Financially it made sense to me and simplified maintenance and controllability. But, it can be risky.

Thanks guys, undecided on connecting it or not to the DT. But how about the usage of the water I am pulling out of my DT for the new tank to reduce any cycle? Am I dreaming here :)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bkostuch;1045017 wrote: Thanks guys, undecided on connecting it or not to the DT. But how about the usage of the water I am pulling out of my DT for the new tank to reduce any cycle? Am I dreaming here :)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Water from an established tank will not help or hurt a cycle in another tank. All it will do is move some of the nutrients from the original tank to the new. I would start fresh with clean water.

Back