Additives and growth

bhodges82

Supporting
Reaction score
There are a lot of different brands and different types of Additives on the market these days. I have always been a bit of a snob when it comes to additives, spend more and get better results...right? I haven't always gotten percent results but I've found that when I do use additives I get better results than when I don't. My question to you is what brand do you prefer? What is it about that brand that keeps you coming back? Long term success? My tank is finally stabilizing after my move in September and I'm trying to recreate a better plan. Any opinion is welcomed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been a Seachem fan for many years.

I think it's less about the 'additives' and more about having good water, good light, good flow and proper feeding.

Jenn

I've been using three things. I can't vouch for them as I can't talk as a long user for them. I'm using Phytoplankton and zooplankton from seachem and the Marine Snow from Two little Fishies. I've noted that when I feed some zoas will react, just a little more opening but haven't noticed significantly growth or more like difference or more vibrant colors. I have a doser, but I been doing manually as I haven't built something to keep the additives cold while in use, or have them shake at all times. Probably will work on that on some future.
As I've started this tank with dry rock and live sand I felt the necessity of adding some essencial nutrients for corals to thrive.
I'll look ahead on incorporing some of the Aquaforest brand, as I've heard some reviews.
I been using just regular IO salt, if that matters.
I've seen beautiful mixed reefs that actually were using the very same salt. Even the Georgia Aquarium uses them, if one would call a so, so salt with a cheap additives as well haha.

joseayes;1114607 wrote: I've been using three things. I can't vouch for them as I can't talk as a long user for them. I'm using Phytoplankton and zooplankton from seachem and the Marine Snow from Two little Fishies. I've noted that when I feed some zoas will react, just a little more opening but haven't noticed significantly growth or more like difference or more vibrant colors. I have a doser, but I been doing manually as I haven't built something to keep the additives cold while in use, or have them shake at all times. Probably will work on that on some future.
As I've started this tank with dry rock and live sand I felt the necessity of adding some essencial nutrients for corals to thrive.
I'll look ahead on incorporing some of the Aquaforest beans, as I've heard some reviews.
I been using just regular IO salt, if that matters.
I've seen beautiful mixed reefs that actually were using the very same salt. Even the Georgia Aquarium uses them, if one would call a so, so salt with a cheap additives as well haha.

Aquaforest beans? I haven't heard of them.

bhodges82;1114609 wrote: Aquaforest beans? I haven't heard of them.

They doesn't exist haha! It's was just a typing mistake. I've fixed on the original post

additives can be a tricky things because there are VERY few instances where someone can say with all certainty that an additive actually had a positive effect positively.

Now that being said I think the NUMBER ONE additive, if you want to call it that, is your salt mix. Its a touchy subject I know, so I'll just say ... make sure you know what parameters your salt mixes to. They are VERY different especially as far as ALK goes.

The ONLY "additive" that I've been adding and feel that positive results are due to is NaNO3. It isn't a miracle worker, but it did help me get NO3 up (as crazy as that sounds). With no other additives being added I can say that growth and sps color really is better. I keep my NO3 at (brace yourself) around 10-12!! And yes, I do have to TRY and keep NO3 up. I choose to run a big BK skimmer and keep up with water changes. It allows me to remove OTHER elements from the water that would be harmful and keep them from building up.
Why not just feed more and increase NO3 that way? Well, because you add a LOT more into the system other than NO3. This way I feel I'm more in control of whats happening I guess. I'm able to know if I add X amount then my NO3 in 100g will increase by Y.
So, for me, NaNO3 has been the only thing that I've really been able to see a difference with.

Back