Adhering rock for aquascaping

mcphock

Market
Reaction score
Howdy,

I'm unsatisfied with the current look of my aquascaping, so I'd like to rebuild it. I have about 50lbs of dry rock and perhaps 80lbs of live rock.

I don't intend to use all of that... and may go all dry, all live or a mix of both depending on the shape I want to build and the shape of the pieces available.

That being said, what are some good ways to bond the rock together? Previously, I used water tight cement, but it degraded over 3 years and eventually fell apart completely. I do not wish to drill rock for rods, even though I know that's the most fail safe method.

I'd heard decent things about WaterWeld, but heard it can make the skimmer go crazy. Also, not sure its long term durability or ability to hold larger pieces together.

Thoughts?

IMO acrylic rods are the best way to go.

I personally just stack the rock without rods or epoxies. Makes it easier to remove rocks as needed

I used firberglass rods, aka driveway markers, from Home Depot.

LSU_fishFan;1076421 wrote: IMO acrylic rods are the best way to go.

I personally just stack the rock without rods or epoxies. Makes it easier to remove rocks as needed

I've drilled & used the rods (driveway markers at Lowes or HD). Got tired of the look and stacked like Luke. It's not the safest way long term but I'm always moving something anyway.

The JB Weld with Super Glue and (any other reef safe) Coraffix works well. I use a dap of both glues with most all applications out of the tank. You've got to pry that mix apart with hammer and chisel!

In the process I used a few years ago for a tank what I did was
1st make sure the rocks would LINK TOGETHER.. if they didn't then I cut them so that there would be some kind of a hook or something to the rock that would ALMOST stay on its own
2nd Drill holes where the rocks link
3rd I used acrylic rods of 3-4 inches to link the rocks.
What I found was that it would keep them from falling, but wouldn't keep them steady so...
4th use epoxy (out of the water) to press around the link and make it much more sturdy

This is just what has worked for me.
Never had a collapse
B

I've done stacked before, and I didn't care for the omnipresent threat of stack collapse. Plus, if I moved a rock, I could never get it back in exactly the right spot.

As I mentioned, I don't want to drill. So, it sounds like WaterWeld is my only realistic option otherwise?

McPhock;1076558 wrote: I've done stacked before, and I didn't care for the omnipresent threat of stack collapse. Plus, if I moved a rock, I could never get it back in exactly the right spot.

As I mentioned, I don't want to drill. So, it sounds like WaterWeld is my only realistic option otherwise?

I understand what your saying about moving a rock and not being able to position it the same

McPhock;1076558 wrote: I've done stacked before, and I didn't care for the omnipresent threat of stack collapse. Plus, if I moved a rock, I could never get it back in exactly the right spot.

If you're talking about my above quote I'm not saying stack it. This method let's you take a heavy center rock and "suspend" arms out over the sand if you do it right. It can give a very cool scape

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Back