advice needed

michael grady

Market
Reaction score
<span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="font-family: Calibri;">Hey guys...</span></span><span style="font-family: Calibri;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"> </span></span>
<span style="font-family: Calibri;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"> </span></span>
<span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="font-family: Calibri;">I've decided to jump up to a 180 from my current 120. Although I've kept a reef off an on over several years, I still consider myself still on the learning curve. I have a dedicated 'fish room' in my basement.</span></span>
<span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="font-family: Calibri;"></span></span>
<span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="font-family: Calibri;"> I'll have lots of questions but let me start with a few:</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Calibri;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"></span></span>
<span style="font-family: Calibri;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">Tank...</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Calibri;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">I think I'll go with glass vs acrylic. Is a tank (RR), a tank? Or, are there true differences from one maker to the next?</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Calibri;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"> </span></span>
<span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="font-family: Calibri;">Lights...</span></span>
<span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="font-family: Calibri;">I built an led light system for the 120, and it worked "ok". However, I think i'd like to go with the tried and true MH light for the new system. Can you guys make a recommendation as to what to buy? how many? what wattage? Anything to look out for?</span></span>
<span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="font-family: Calibri;">Skimmer...</span></span>
<span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="font-family: Calibri;">I have an MR-3 protein skimmer for the 120. When it work, it works. However, it has those Becket valves and when they get a piece of grit in them, it just stop working. I'd like to get a different skimmer and have it in the sump. The MR is an external skimmer.</span></span>
<span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="font-family: Calibri;"></span></span>
<span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="font-family: Calibri;">Sump...</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Calibri;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">I need a recomendation for a sump. How large? Where to buy?</span></span>
<span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="font-family: Calibri;">Mentor...</span></span>
<span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="font-family: Calibri;">Any of you guys with a successful large system willing to be a mentor? I'm a retired doc and would love to come pick the brain of someone who has a large system and can help me avoid spending money on the wrong stuff.</span></span>
<span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="font-family: Calibri;">Thank so much!</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Calibri;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"></span></span>
<span style="font-family: Calibri;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">Michael</span></span>

For lights on my 180. I run 3 250w de. I just added 4 48" t-5's to use for viewing before and after the mh's. I love my lights now that I added the t-5's.

As for the sump I am using a 40b and there is plenty of room for everything to fit.

My 180 will have a 40g breeder as the sump plus another 25g as a refugium with another 20g for top off water. I personally prefer the Reef Octopus skimmers however I am trying out a Bubble Magus clone right now that is working very well. As for lights...why jump back to MH and need the maintenance cost, the increased electricity plus the possible need for a chiller? I'm running three 120w LED's over my tank it will be plenty of light. To me...it's a win-win. JMO.

Hi Jeff...ive been leaning towrds the MH's...i hear mixed reviews on LED for optimum coral growth. I'm not 100 percent convinced either way though. What LED's are you using?

I have a custom made 72" fixture that will never rust or deteriorate at all it has 3x 250 watt De HQI mh 20,000 k bulbs powered by a dual Pfo and a single Pfo with 2x 110 watt vho actinics powered by a icecap 660 ballast. This fixture was made by another member and I will take $350 for it.

Edit: Here is a picture
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
847725=43913-image.jpg
>
847725=43913-image.jpg
class="gc-images" title="image.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

michael grady;847723 wrote: Hi Jeff...ive been leaning towrds the MH's...i hear mixed reviews on LED for optimum coral growth. I'm not 100 percent convinced either way though. What LED's are you using?

I was a diehard MH guy. Went with the MM LED and saw good color so I went full out with eShines. Now I have a mix of eShines and TaoTronics. My growth was fantastic!

Back