advice on a new RODI unit

hhv00586

Market
Reaction score
I am looking for a second RODI system

My current one was from ebay and has 3 chambers and 2 resin with pressure monitor, flush etc
I have run it for last 2 years and my TDS monitor shows an in TDS of 48 and an out of 0
I produce approx 75g of RODI a month
So I am guessing it is all still working well for 2 years of use

The second one I am looking for is for 150g tank build and is far away from the other unit. This will be much more automated and I am planning to have the system automatically dump 10g and replace 10g one a week with no intervention

I have looked at the 6 stage one from BRS and MarineDepot - the BRS unit is ~250 and the marine depot ~299
A similar looking one on ebay runs 150 - so I big saving

As I demonstrated above on my current ebay one it seems to work just fine.

I am looking for reasons I should spend double and go with the BRS or MarineDepot units?
Are these really any diff. All three units are rated to 150gpd and all 3 have same media etc

Thoughts?

If it were me, I would buy the Specture 90 that's in the for sale thread just listed for $100 (rb647) post.

It's the best IMO and a great deal for price!

if your looking to dump 10g and fill 10g, your talking about saltwater change , why buy a second unit?
you will have to mix your salt anyway unless your planning a freshwater tank.

I need a second unit due to the location of my new tank.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Plumbing parts are pretty standardized, but I find comfort in the fact that I can call BRS to get advice or parts.

Can you post a link to the EBay version? I would be interested in comparing.

You should just be able to tee off your existing RO line to another vessel.

Jenn

The unit I am thinking is this from ebay for 165 with free ship and comes with the 2 line tds meter
http://www.ebay.com/itm/380500588266?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT">Combo Deal Watergeneral RD 150 HM Digital DM 2 TDS Meter Aquarium Reef Ro Di | eBay</a>

Jenn - I can not T off as my current RODI unit is too far away to be practical. I would have to run a line around my entire perimeter of the house and somehow cross the concrete driveway, go down to my back yard, run it along that (burying it), down to the basement etc etc. Much easier to put another RODI in place

Heh they advertise refillable DI cartridges, but how is the average Joe supposed to refill them? It can be messy business.

I MAYBE know one local store who carries bulk DI resin. It's not worth it for the individual to buy a container of bulk DI resin because it doesn't keep very long, and it will spoil if it's not sealed up properly. I see they sell it by the 'bag' but I'd caution against stockpiling it.

I haven't observed the 'channeling' they mention in their sales pitch, concerning traditional DI cartridges, refillable or otherwise.

Better find out what brand of housing they use too. NOBODY puts their brand on filter housings, and replacing o-rings is a nightmare when you don't know what brand of housing it is. They all look somewhat similar, but every manufacturer uses a different mold and as such, requires a different o-ring. So you have a generic filter with garden variety housings and in a few years when you need to replace the o-rings, if the seller isn't around anymore, you are stuck. I deal with that EVERY DAY. Nobody in my office will promise an o-ring will work with an unknown brand of housing.

It's an OK deal but personally I'd stick with something that uses a standard 2 1/2" x 10" DI cartridge in one of the vertical filter housings. Colour-changing makes it a lot easier to tell when it's spent too... if you have clear filter housings. The picture of the whole unit looks like it is made with clear housings but the example shown with 2 o-rings is a white housing.

A clear housing will let you see how grubby the sediment filter is without having to open the unit. Ditto with the DI cartridge.. a clear housing and a colour changing DI cartridge makes it a no-brainer. Their unusual cartridges will let you see, but it looks like a pain to take those off to refill.

I'd also change carbon and sediment filters more often than once a year. That's the standard for drinking water filters, but we fish nerds change 'em much more often than that. Keeping your prefilters clean prolongs the useful life of the membrane.

Just my 2 cents. These days I'm the Hank Hill of water filters. I sell water filters and water filter accessories ;)

Jenn

Thanks for the advice, i bought one of these from them 2 years ago. The two di chambers are clear. They also have the option of two clear vertical chambers if you wish. My existing unit i have never flushed or replaced any filter including di resin, tds shows zero on the output line and 48 on the input line after 2 years of use. I make about 50g every 3 weeks on average

48 on the input isn't bad. It's pretty light usage too.

Jenn

Nice to know my city water is so clean &#9786;

Back