Advice on Attachment of Overflow Box

wannabeeareefkeeper

Market
Reaction score
I have to attach an overflow box to a glass aquarium. The overflow box is rated at 1200 gph. The overflow box with be attached to the top back side of a 29 gallon aquarium. What sealant would you use to attach the acrylic overflow box to the glass aquarium.

a.) Momentive RTV103 One Part Silicone Sealant, Black by Momentive, 10.1 Ounce Caulk Tube

b.) Weld-on Product? Which specific type of Weld-on would you use

What are your thoughts on the best adhesive to use in this situation? Any actually experience in attaching a overflow box would be appreciated? I am concerned with the long term and leeching of bad stuff into the reef aquarium. So I need to utilize the best, safest, sealant or epoxy inside the reef tank.

Wannabee

P.S. The overflow box is made to attach with some type of sealant; no threaded bulkhead adapters came with the overflow box.

I used regular silicone on mine and Butch's and neither of us has had any issues with it.

Look up rich's 125 gallon build thread where he installed an overflow for a bean animal.

I don't think he used anything fancy.

One of the GE silicones found at the home improvement stores is supposed to be aquarium safe. I always buy the stuff carried by our LFS.

regular silicone will work just fine but if you want extra security you could bulkhead mount it but that may require you to add a back plate of acrylic and drill it for bulkheads if it dosent already have one.

GE Silicone 1 is ok, there wouldn't be any benefit from a higher performance silicone like Momentive 103 or 108. Neither is going to bond perfectly to the acrylic, just good enough to do what you need it to do. It helps to roughen up the edges that will have silicone adhered to it to give it a better bond. If you already have the Momentive, then I would use it, if not go with GE Silicone 1 100% silicone or the crazy expensive aquarium safe stuff that LFS sell if you think it would make you sleep better at night...lol

Back