Advice on buying a CR

geno

Market
Reaction score
I think it's time to move on to a CR -- but reading about putting one together only confuses me. I think I'll look at a full package deal.

Would the following be considered a quality setup?

Korallin 1502 Package Includes: Korallin 1502 Calcium Reactor, Eheim 1048 Pump, JBJ Dual Guage CO2 Regulator with Solenoid + Bubble Counter + Check Valve, CaribSea 8 lbs Reactor Media and Realistic rating of 200 gallons. C-1502 - Rated for up to 400g. Reactor height: approx. 15.75"; Diameter: 4.5"; Ground: 6.25"; Filling amount to 3 kg. Eheim 1048 recirculation powerhead, bubble counter & brass check valve included.

The price would be about $500

Do you have any brand preferences?

Thanks!

+2 MRC! The spray bar makes better use of CO2 and media saving you $$ in the long run.
You can get a nice dual chamber system for that price.

+3 MRC! :) A dual chamber system is the way to go if you want to avoid pH issues. MRC CRs can be dialed for high and low output. They also will not cavitate.

ive been researching cr and im confused.. what is the over simplified description of one, and why would i want to get one.. thanks!!

i guess... i understood that part.. i think ive found the right site to read about it

Geo makes a good calcium reactor as well. It has been the most trouble free piece of equipment I own.

Joe

I've heard nothing but good things about the geo units. They seem to be the preferred cr unit out there on rc. I however just use a lil coralife unit that works like a charm... and its cost effective. What is a ca reactor besides a clear tube with a recirc pump on it?

+1 on the coralife and MRC, kinda.

I have a MRC CR2 and it works beautifully. I use to have a coralife, and it workd pretty well also, despite being of less quality build materials.

Unfortunatly i have no experience with GEO

Used... a calcium reactor is a surprising simple piece of equipment. Save some money and just look for a quality used setup. I would also run with a controller to monitor in tank pH that way if the reactor goes crazy for some reason you can shut the drip into the tank right off. I found a controller on the calcium reactor itself is nice, but not necessary.

Hey Cameron -- good to hear from you again. I heard you had left the hobby (which was disappointing). I sure appreciated my visit to your house to see your setup many months ago. Everyone I know has always appreciated your contribution to this forum.

-gene

Back