Advice on mixing food for multiple days

coolsurf

Reaction score
My fish have probably been the most pampered since I pull out the frozen cube, slice it up, chop off some mysis from the block, add vitamins, add garlic once a day, let it soak then feed. I am looking for a bit of a shortcut as in premixing food in advance for several days at a time so I don't have to continue this ritual at every feeding. I've been doing it this way forever. I would like to hear what others do and how they store it so fish don't get food poisoning. Thanks.

I thaw shrimp in ro water in 5 minutes, rinse my brine, tubifex, etc. Add all in a small mixing bowl. Add garlic, selcon, beta-glucan, mix well, and portion in an one of those old iced-cube trays. I take a syringe or dropper of ro water cover with a thin layer, so there is no freezer burn.

I make my own food and add garlic and vitamins. I freeze it in ziploc bags then cut of enough for 3-4 days. I place that in a small container add some r/o water and place it in the fridge. It's ready to feed when I am.

mysterybox;348056 wrote: I thaw shrimp in ro water in 5 minutes, rinse my brine, tubifex, etc. Add all in a small mixing bowl. Add garlic, selcon, beta-glucan, mix well, and portion in an one of those old iced-cube trays. I take a syringe or dropper of ro water cover with a thin layer, so there is no freezer burn.

oh yeah, I add cyclo-peeze & oyster eggs, a few other things.

FWIW, I just got back from a 4-day trip, and I used portion cups to prepare the frozen food with RO water, then put them in the fridge, and instructed my "sitter" to just add one cup a day. When I got home, I used the last cup, and the mysis cube I had put in for that particular day was.... wrong. It wasn't smellier, but it looked like each bit was "fuzzier" once it got in the water...and the fish avoided it.

atreyu917;348123 wrote: ooooh where do you buy oyster eggs???

many places have them. I bought my last batch at the Avarium in Duluth.

atreyu917;348145 wrote: They extremely small?
I wonder how much the copperband would like them

it's more for corals than anything else

Back