Advice on my potential fish list.

Adam

Trustee
Staff member
Sponsor
Supporting
Reaction score
This is an on going list of potential fish I'd like to keep. I am by no means planning on adding them all and will need to whittle it down. My tank is a 220 with a 90 sump. I figure my total water volume is around 250 with the rock I have in place. My plan is to keep 14-18 fish total in a reef setup that will have inverts. There is also a decent sized fuge area in the sump for macro that will have pods.

Here are the fish I currently have:
4 Benggai Cardinals
1 Bluespotted Watchman Goby; Cryptocentrus pavoninoides
1 Engineer Goby; Pholidichthys leucotaenia

These are ones that interest me:
<u>Big Angel</u>
1 Lamarck's Angelfish; Genicanthus lamarck
1 Watanabei Angelfish; Genicanthus watanabei
<u>Dwarf Angel</u>
1 Red Stripe Angelfish; Centropyge eibli
1 Flame Angelfish; Centropyge loricula
<u>Anthia</u>
3-5 Carberryi Anthias; Nemanthias carberryi
<u>Basslet</u>
1 Black Cap Basslet; Gramma melacara
<u>Butterfly</u>
1 Sailfin/Algae Blenny; Salarias fasciatus
<u>Clown</u>
2 Black Ice Ocellaris; Amphiprion ocellaris (Don't particularly want them, but the wife...)
<u>Damsel</u>
3-5 Blue Reef Chromis; Chromis cyaneus (I've read everything from "don't do it" to "I've kept '<span style="font-size: 11px;">insert odd number here</span></em>' for months/years")
1 Yellowtail Damselfish; Chrysiptera parasema
Dartfish
3 Purple Firefish; Nemateleotris decora
3 Exquisite Firefish; Nemateleotris exquisita
3 Firefish; Nemateleotris magnifica
<u>Dragonet</u>
1 Red Mandarin;Synchiropus cf. splendidus
<u>Goby's</u>
3-5 Neon Blue Goby; Elactinus oceanops
1 Decorated Goby; Istigobius decoratus
1 Diamond Goby; Valenciennea puellaris
<u>Pseudochromis</u>
1 Splendid Dottyback; Manonichthys splendens
<u>Tang</u>
1 Achilles Tang; Acanthurus achilles
1 Blue Caribbean Tang; Acanthurus coeruleus
1 Kole Yellow Eye Tang; Ctenochaetus strigosus
1 Blue Tang; Paracanthurus hepatus
1 Yellow Belly Regal Blue Tang; Paracanthurus hepatus var.
1 Yellow Tang; Zebrasoma flavescens
<u>Trigger</u>
1 Blue Throat Triggerfish; Xanthichthys auromarginatus (Thanks Kurt)
<u>Wrasse</u>
1 Orange-Back Fairy Wrasse; Cirrhilabrus aurantidorsalis
1 Lineatus Fairy Wrasse; Cirrhilabrus lineatus
1 Potter's Wrasse; Macropharyngodon geoffroyi
1 Leopard Wrasse; Macropharyngodon meleagris
1 Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse; Paracheilinus carpenteri
1 McCosker's Flasher Wrasse; Paracheilinus mccoskeri
1 Six Line Wrasse; Pseudocheilinus hexataenia
<u>Other</u>
1 Blue Spot Jawfish; Opistognathus rosenblatti
1 Magnificent Foxface; Siganus magnificus

I will be feeding pretty heavy and will do my best to keep the drama to a minimum. To help me trim the list is there anything here I should definitely stay away from?
I'm also interested if there is something you like that isn't on the list.

This is a very heavy bioload for a few 210

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

I'd drop the Basslet. Less dart fish. They will fight. The tangs could fight too if you don't add them at the same time. The Achilles is very difficult and can be mean making it risky for other Acanthurus.

I'm planning on keeping a max of 55-60" in length of adult fish and I'd like to get most of them as juveniles. This list is just the fish I am interested in that tend to be more on the passive side and mostly reef/invert safe. I would probably only have 2 or 3 of the larger fish like tangs or the Trigger. With the Dart fish I would only get 3 of one type not 3 of each type. The thought process is 6-8 smaller fish 3" or less, 2-3 midsize fish 4-7" and 2-3 larger fish 8-12".

So I'm hoping anyone with experience with some of these fish will chime in and help me get a final list together. That way I can have a better idea of what order to add them, over the next year.

<span style="color: Red">My comments in red :)

</span> Here are the fish I currently have:
4 Benggai Cardinals - <span style="color: Red">If you get a pair from the 4, they'll probably kill off the other 2. I was able to keep 2 females in a 120 for a year or so but one day the older one (they were sisters from different broods), took out her little sister. They don't need a huge territory but they don't like others of their own kind.

</span> 1 Bluespotted Watchman Goby; Cryptocentrus pavoninoides <span style="color: Red">Great fish.

</span> 1 Engineer Goby; Pholidichthys leucotaenia <span style="color: Red">Great fish, but gets pretty big and can be a nuisance excavator. As long as your rocks are on the glass and not on the sand, you'll be fine.</span>

<u>Big Angel</u>
1 Lamarck's Angelfish; Genicanthus lamarck

<span style="color: Red">Genicanthus are the only *absolutely* coral-safe angel. Both are nice choices, I'm particularly partial to the Bellus - they are dimorphic and a pair makes a stunning display.... but that's me :) You can't go wrong with any of the Genicanthus.

</span> <u>Dwarf Angel</u>
1 Red Stripe Angelfish; Centropyge eibli
1 Flame Angelfish; Centropyge loricula

<span style="color: Red">Flame angel *might* eat your coral. Some behave, and some don't, it's really a gamble. Eibli *WILL</em>* eat your coral. I wouldn't even chance it in a reef, period.

</span> <u>Anthia</u>
3-5 Carberryi Anthias; Nemanthias carberryi

<span style="color: Red">Make sure you see ANY anthias eat before you bring them home.

</span> <u>Basslet</u>
1 Black Cap Basslet; Gramma melacara

<span style="color: Red">Pretty fish but can become a real jerk. May not get along with the Pseudochromis. I'd pick this one over the Pseudo.</span>
<u>Butterfly</u>

<span style="color: Red">Loads of personality and utility.

</span> <u>Clown</u>
2 Black Ice Ocellaris; Amphiprion ocellaris (Don't particularly want them, but the wife...)

<span style="color: Red">Happy wife, happy life. 'Nuff said.

</span> <u>Damsel</u>
3-5 Blue Reef Chromis; Chromis cyaneus (I've read everything from "don't do it" to "I've kept '<span style="font-size: 11px">insert odd number here</span></em>' for months/years")
1 Yellowtail Damselfish; Chrysiptera parasema

<span style="color: Red">Clownfishes are also damsels. I just wouldn't do it. Damsels are evil incarnate, and with Chromis, usually one turns female and bullies the rest right to death. Occasionally 2 will form a pair but that's the exception, not the rule.

</span> Dartfish

<span style="color: Red">Peaceful choices but the Blackcap and/or Pseudo will probably kill them. See my comment about them being jerks.

</span> <u>Dragonet</u>

<span style="color: Red">Be mindful of the other fishes you have that will compete with it for food. The tank/system is large enough to support it, but wrasses and such will also eat the pods that the dragonet will eat. BTW thank you for using the proper term - dragonet ... not 'goby'... huge pet peeve of mine :D

</span><u>Goby's</u>
3-5 Neon Blue Goby; Elactinus oceanops
1 Diamond Goby; Valenciennea puellaris

<span style="color: Red">All good choices here. The diamond might make a mess of the sand worse than the engineer. Still a fun fish if you can live with the excavating.

</span> <u>Pseudochromis</u>
1 Splendid Dottyback; Manonichthys splendens

<span style="color: Red">Just say no :) They're pretty but they are evil toward anything shaped similarly.

</span> <u>Tang</u>
1 Achilles Tang; Acanthurus achilles
1 Blue Caribbean Tang; Acanthurus coeruleus
1 Yellow Belly Regal Blue Tang; Paracanthurus hepatus var.

<span style="color: Red">Achilles are delicate - if you're up to the challenge.

The Atlantic blue gets HUGE - IMO too huge for even a 220.

Kole is a good choice - Regal or yellow belly - they are great choices but prepare for short supply and sky-high prices as Finding Dory hits theaters... :(

Yellow is a good staple fish. I'm not really partial to them but they're among the sturdier of the tangs.

</span> <u>Trigger</u>

<span style="color: Red">How about a pair? The males are soooooo shy at first. The females aren't as pretty but a little more outgoing. Great fish and likely to be reef safe.

</span> <u>Wrasse</u>
1 Leopard Wrasse; Macropharyngodon meleagris
1 Six Line Wrasse; Pseudocheilinus hexataenia

<span style="color: Red">Six Lines can be jerks too. I still like them anyway. Wrasses are some of my faves, any from your list would be nice. Check out the Solarensis too :) </span>
<u>Other</u>
1 Blue Spot Jawfish; Opistognathus rosenblatti

<span style="color: Red">Jawfish don't travel well, and need deep sand. Very hard to acclimate in my experience.

Foxface is another nice staple fish - venomous and a bit spazzy when they are nervous, but a good utility fish with some good looks.
</span>
<span style="color: Red">I think if you choose wisely from all the groups you'll end up with a pretty awesome display.

Jenn
</span>

Thanks for taking the time with an awesome reply Jenn! It will really help narrow the list down and gave me a couple options I didn't think of. Being new and having a lot to learn it's hard to make the right decisions. Reading can only take you so far and posts like yours really help. It will help me save lives and money. Thanks again!!! :)

Updated the list. Blue text are what I'm considering at at the moment and puts me at 13 fish & 58" when adults.

Here are the fish I currently have:
3 Benggai Cardinals (One taken out already while in QT, started with 6 two found the filter intake :sad:)
1 Bluespotted Watchman Goby; Cryptocentrus pavoninoides
1 Engineer Goby; Pholidichthys leucotaenia

<u>Big Angel</u>
1 Bellus Angelfish; Genicanthus Bellus
<u>Butterfly</u>
<u>Clown</u>
2 <span style="color: Blue">Black Ice Ocellaris</span>; Amphiprion ocellaris (Must have happy life...)
Dartfish
<u>Dragonet</u>
<u>Goby's</u>
2 <span style="color: blue">Neon Blue Goby</span>; Elactinus oceanops
1 <span style="color: blue">Diamond Goby</span>; Valenciennea puellaris (Isn't stirring the sand up a good thing? All rock is on the glass except rubble.)
<u>Tang</u>
1 Powder Brown Tang; Acanthurus japonicus
1 Chocolate Tang; Acanthurus pyroferus*
1 <span style="color: blue">Yellow Belly Regal Blue Tang</span>; Paracanthurus hepatus var.
<u>Trigger</u>
<u>Wrasse</u>
1 <span style="color: blue">Redheaded Fairy Wrasse</span>; Cirrhilabrus solorensis (I've always been partial to redheads ;) )
1 <span style="color: blue">Leopard Wrasse</span>; Macropharyngodon meleagris
1 <span style="color: Blue">Mystery Wrasse</span>; Pseudocheilinus ocellatus (If I can't find one I'll go with a Flasher)
<u>Other</u>

I do like Wrasse's too, and Tang's but there just isn't enough room... unless I drop the Goby's and get another Tang. What do you all think?
I've got a
view

Mystery Wrasse can be a jerk too (see: Six Line). It's a more expensive mistake LOL.

Do read up on each individual species and how difficult they can be to care for... Leopard wrasses for example, are very difficult to ship, they just don't travel or acclimate well.

Jenn

Are there any websites other than the places that sell the fish to get more info. Or am I better off googling?

Scott Michaels' Pocket Expert Guide to Marine Fishes and/or Reef Fishes. I used to keep a copy of the former on my shop counter, and it was well worn. At a glance you can get info on over 500 species in each book.

Jenn

(I know... I'm a fossil... I'm recommending actual BOOKS.)

Overall husbandry etc., The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert Fenner. The older version has a Flame Angel on the cover, the newer has, I think a Lemonpeel (or other yellow angel) on the cover. The latter is a bit more up to date, albeit a few years old.

Technology changes but the science does not.

Jenn

Back