Advice on new tank purchase

kariandy6698

Reaction score
Hi. I currently have a 75 gallon reef tank, setup, and stand and hood that I bought from a friend getting out of the hobby.  The tank dimensions are 48" x 18" x 24".  It has a few prominent scratches on the front. I like my stand but am thinking about changing out the tank. I'd like to increase the height from 24 to at least 30". I'd also like to ditch the hood all together.

Where and what should I look for.  Are there any locals the build out tanks like this?  Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I started out with a 90g bowfront that was 29" deep.  Based on my experience, a few things you may want to consider.  A 30" deep tank is much more difficult to maintain in terms of cleaning the glass and sandbed.  As such, you will need longer tools.  You may also need more lighting as the par level will drop significantly at the bottom of the tank.

The good news is I believe a 110g tank has the same dimensions with the exception of being 30" tall.  You may want to make sure your stand is capable of supporting the extra weight.  Not all stands are created equal.  :)

If you ditch the canopy you can do a few things with your lighting dependant on your location.  You can hang steel braided wires from your ceiling to your lights.  Build or buy metal pipes to attach to the wall or stand behind your tank and suspend the lights over your tank. The other option is to just add legs to whatever light(s) you are using.

If you ditch the canopy you may want to also add a screen top to keep jumpers in the tank.

can't give you advice about a tank build - however, keep in mind that going that much taller will affect your lighting and potentially your maintenance ability. Unless you have really long arms.

I'd just stay with a 75g for the reasons Brett said. I like the rimless open top look myself.

I have two pipes I cut, painted and bent for my 48" fragtank.  Now I hang my lights from the ceiling.  Your welcome to them free of charge.  :)

Back