ADVICE on Quarantine setup....

oz

Market
Reaction score
I have a 10G (and 20G if necessary) qurantine tank currently with a long live rock and some sand. What do you guys have in your quarantine tanks? I was thinking the rock and the sand would help the fish feel more comfortable. I have heard you should keep stuff in the QT tank and then keep it empty.

Also, i have an Aquaclear70, titanium heater, maxijet and bubble wand in the 10G QT tank now.

For the 20G, i have a magnum filter w/biowheel, heater, maxijet, large rock and sand as well.

Thoughts?

The rock and sand are ok as long as you never plan on using it in the display again. That is if you ever use any medication (like copper) in the quarantine. I have a hybrid frag / quarantine tank. If I ever have to treat a fish I would need to remove all of the frags. I have rock and sand in there with the intent of leaving it there for the duration.

My QT is bare bottom with some pieces of PVC pipe for cover and some fake plastic corals (it's surprising how many of my neighbors think they're real....but I digress). Rock and sand will absorb any medications if you need to treat the tank, so they'll need to come out in the event of a sick fish (or at a minimum they'll reduce the effectivness of any meds).

The best QT sets ups IMHO are bare bottom with nothing more then a heater, a maxijet, and some type of filter. I add PVC to mine to give the fish something to hide in. Other then that, nothing else. All the things I have in there are easy to clean and store when not in use. I keep extra filter pads in my main tank's sump to culture it with bacteria for the QT tank.

That makes a lot of sense. i think I may go bare / PVC on the 10G and then keep some rock / sand in the 20G. 10G QT and 20G frag / holding tank maybe.

i heard to keep it running all the time if you can, if you can't take water from your main tank in case of emergency.

main tank being the tank the fish you will be QT'ing comes from.

Blueeyes;124952 wrote: I would like to ask a question. If you keep it bare bones do you keep water in it all the time or only when you need to use it? Also if you only put water in it when you need to use it doesn't the water need to be cycled? Thanks

You can do either. If you're frequently aquiring fish, just keep it running (if it's fallow for a while, you may need to feed the bacteria periodically.) If your acquisition is not consistent, you can break the tank down. Keep an extra filter pad for whatever filter you're using in the sump of your display so it's charged with bacteria. When you need the tank, fill it with water from the display and put the filter pad in and you're off to the races. No cycle.

But then put another filter pad in your sump so that you're ready for next time. There's likely differences of opinon on this, but I don't like moving sponges, etc., back and forth from the DT to the QT. Once it goes to the QT, it doesn't go back to my DT system.

Geehh;124959 wrote:

But then put another filter pad in your sump so that you're ready for next time. There's likely differences of opinon on this, but I don't like moving sponges, etc., back and forth from the DT to the QT. Once it goes to the QT, it doesn't go back to my DT system.

YES!! You never move ANYTHING from the QT tank to your display tank. Once that filter moves, it does not go back to the display tank.

I have done QT a few ways. There have been times I have started with fresh saltwater and no seeded filter pad. (Lets say the main display tank had a problem that I did not want to introduce into the QT tank.) I feed the fish only a small amount once every two to three days and keep an regular eye on the ammonia and be ready with water changes if need be. A 10 gal QT tank is great because you only have to make 5 gal on water to do a 50% water change in it.

My QT is bare bottom....3 pieces of live rock...some plastic plants...and PVC elbows and pipes...

A $10 HOB filter...a maxiejet 1200...and a heater..

oh yeah, ONE clownfish which I have not idea why he has holes in in head behind the gills....hence the reason for the QT tank

he has been in there 2 months and eats like a pig and play in the plastic plants....

That will be his home for life

My only concern about plastic plants is SOME can break down in saltwater and cause some bad problems.

Mine is basically the same as brandon. I have a 20g and a 29g hex setup with a HOB filte, a heater and some PVC. Nothing else. That way I can do hypo, treat, whatever I need to do without worryig about anythhing. I actually much prefer to break mine down in between fish and wash everything with vinegar then bleach and let sit unti lI need again. Sponges that go in the HOBs are always in my main sump for bacteria and i use water from my main tank to start.

Back