affirming the issues of GFO SPS by Randy

ralph atl

Market
Reaction score
Can you use too much GFO?

"Yes, you can drop phosphate too low and effectively starve creatures that need it in the water. That might be observed by bleaching or other effects on corals, dying macro algae, etc.

This has more:

Iron Oxide Hydroxide (GFO) Phosphate Binders
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-11/rhf/index.htm"><span style="color: #000088;">http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-11/rhf/index.htm</span></a>

from it:

What else might iron oxide hydroxide do? Biological effects

Quite a large proportion of aquarists using GFO in reef aquaria have reported undesirable effects on corals. These reported effects include tissue recession and bleaching. Many advanced aquarists have associated these effects with the first addition, or with a later change, of the GFO. While many or all of these reports may be coincidence, there are enough reports that aquarists should be wary. Listed below are a number of possibilities that may be the cause:

A sudden drop in phosphate may stress certain organisms. This stress might be particularly important to corals with algal symbionts. The level of symbionts existing in a coral may depend to some extent on the availability of nutrients. A sudden drop in nutrients may imbalance the organism, leaving it with too many zooxanthellae for the newly-reduced nutrient levels. Especially if these corals are already living on the edge of survival, such stress may tip the balance toward disease.

In some cases, phosphate levels may drop below natural seawater levels, and phosphate may become the limiting nutrient. If this limitation is severe enough, corals and other organisms using phosphate may well be stressed, stop growing, and become more susceptible to disease.

Similar effects may result from a drop in certain trace metals. Since the effects of GFO on trace elements have not been clearly established in aquaria, it is possible that one or more critical elements may drop below optimal levels.

The release of soluble iron hydroxide itself may irritate certain corals, although many aquarists dose chelated iron without such effects. The iron hydroxide may, however, nucleate the precipitation of calcium carbonate in sub-optimal places, such as tissue surfaces. It may also bind directly to tissues.

The GFO may actually release certain metals other than iron from its surface. I have not seen any data on the chemical purity of these materials, and such issues may be a concern with some or all brands.

The drop in alkalinity and/or pH caused by abiotic precipitation of calcium carbonate would not be expected to be very great in most aquaria, and typically isn't especially large, as reported by the aquarists themselves. In the cases from which I've seen data, the effect is not as great as the variability between aquaria or between dosing events in many aquaria. Still, such changes might be important in some circumstances where conditions are already marginal.

Since GFO binds organic materials, the addition of a significant amount of fresh surface area may rapidly drop the dissolved organic levels. Such a drop may stress corals by rapidly increasing the available light levels, or by reducing a food source, or both.In order to minimize such difficulties, many aquarists start off using GFO more slowly than the directions might suggest. Such caution seems warranted in most cases.

In order to minimize such difficulties, many aquarists start off using GFO more slowly than the directions might suggest. Such caution seems warranted in most cases."

<FONT class=sf>__________________
Randy Holmes-Farley

So how long of a period time would you guys suggest acclimating your system to GFO? Is 2-3 months to acceptable? And at what point in a system is an appropriate time to begin dosing GFO? If you have a mature system, will the addition of GFO throw off the balance and stability?

GFO should be put in place BEFORE any stony corals if at all possible. There is just a very good chance that you can lose your sps corals if you start using it after. However, a 2-3 month acclimation will help prevent this. no guarantees though.

Certainly true what ralph says.

If it's not practical then I would start literally with like 20% of recommended amount then in a month change to 40% and ramp up to 50%. Honestly I have never seen the need to run more then half the recommended amount. I run about 25% the amount recommended and have no issues and undetectable phosphates.

I agree with the article though. Enough people have had issues there is something to it!

Since we talking about it what about products like Phos guard. I understand that the alum can be poisonous but has anyone ever heard of someone this has happened to.

Joe

Jim explained how phoguard is NOT poisonous when used as directed. Also, there was a differnce in the metals: aluminum oxide vs. aluminum something?

sailfish;246543 wrote: Since we talking about it what about products like Phos guard. I understand that the alum can be poisonous but has anyone ever heard of someone this has happened to.

Joe

no one personally, because we all use iron. Many people on RC had reported trouble before iron became popular. there is absolutely no reason to use aluminum & take a chance.

here you go:

a>

mysterybox;246552 wrote: no one personally, because we all use iron. Many people on RC had reported trouble before iron became popular. there is absolutely no reason to use aluminum & take a chance.

That is your opinion. I will avoid using GFO if at all possible. The question I asked is if people have heard of someone using Phos Guard type product and having problems. (I never have)IMO were the smoke there is fire and every week someone on RC post about GFO problems. I have personally had problems with GFO and do not like it. I looking for an alternative. I understand that you use it and have not had problems thats great but thats your experience not mine.

Thanks for the link. I do not want to use Phos guard but I am to the point I willing to give it a try. I do not have Phosphate problem but I know I will for a while when I set up the new tank because my live rock already has fairly high reading.

As for the link How about some details on how much was used and in what volume.

"The tests run above show reasonably high concentrations of aluminum. Possibly high enough to cause problems for the organisms shown in Table 1 . But these tests were carried out on a large amount of Phosguard in a small amount of water. " (<span style="font-size: 11px"><span style="color: #808000">CHEMISTRY AND THE AQUARIUM by RANDY HOLMES-FARLEY)</span></span>

I am not up for an argument. I trust people experiences more then one man's opinion.

Joe

sailfish;246587 wrote: That is your opinion. I will avoid using GFO if at all possible. The question I asked is if people have heard of someone using Phos Guard type product and having problems. (I never have)IMO were the smoke there is fire and every week someone on RC post about GFO problems. I have personally had problems with GFO and do not like it. I looking for an alternative. I understand that you use it and have not had problems thats great but thats your experience not mine.

Thanks for the link. I do not want to use Phos guard but I am to the point I willing to give it a try. I do not have Phosphate problem but I know I will for a while when I set up the new tank because my live rock already has fairly high reading.

As for the link How about some details on how much was used and in what volume.

"The tests run above show reasonably high concentrations of aluminum. Possibly high enough to cause problems for the organisms shown in Table 1 . But these tests were carried out on a large amount of Phosguard in a small amount of water. " (<span style="font-size: 11px"><span style="color: #808000">CHEMISTRY AND THE AQUARIUM by RANDY HOLMES-FARLEY)</span></span>

I am not up for an argument. I trust people experiences more then one man's opinion.

Joe

I believe I answered your question. The first line was no, I have do not know anyone personally. All the people that use a phosphate reducing meadia that I know, use iron.

I am aware of many people that used aluminum that have had trouble from rc.

This article above is not promoting gfo's use at all. I think it's actually stating the opposite. I am very aware that many people have had issues with it. Actually, why would there be an argument when we agree? :confused:

mysterybox;246552 wrote: no one personally, because we all use iron. Many people on RC had reported trouble before iron became popular. there is absolutely no reason to use aluminum & take a chance.

I guess I am a little jumpy today. I think there is a reason to take a chance.

I know that I can have problems when I use GFO but I do not know that I will have problems using a Phos Guard type product.

IMO this is the sort of thing the cub could use some of the MACNA money on.

We could hire or work with local colleges to carry out studies on these sorts of things. The members benefit from the Knowledge, the club benefits from the word of mouth and public draw this kind of information would have with reefers. Heck you even get involved with future scientist like the scholarship is aimed to reach.

O No got way of topic there.

Joe

:up: ok, gotcha ya. all is good. Yes, we disagree on the use of aluminum based phosphate export. 2nd look? that actually would be a good idea.:up:

Back