Afraid to hear the answer, but...

camellia

Supporting
Reaction score
I've had a new 75 gal running for 4+ months with live sand, live and base rock and a few crabs. I tested the water yesterday and nitrates were crazy high. I was going to try to move my 45 gallon into it this weekend so I decided to do a large water change (30+ gallons) last night.
I was about 5 gallons short on water when things got a little crazy....I had to leave...Long story short the tank sat all night without any power (air or heat).
Crabs appear to be alive but aren't moving. Do you think I've crashed this tank?

Not at all. You should be fine. Just make sure it is up to temp before adding anything.

I know you all think I have no heart but now I have an ultrasound to prove it. :)

Dang Rich, that's good to hear. I've got it back running and heating. Will recheck prams in a few hours. I fiquered letting it get cold (house temp 70*) would cause dry off of???
Thanks

Have you got a new tank running yet?

i agree with rich and would add that you make sure you let the water circulate for a while as well before adding anything so you can get some oxygen in there.

Picoreefguy;955047 wrote: i agree with rich and would add that you make sure you let the water circulate for a while as well before adding anything so you can get some oxygen in there.

Ok, will do. Thanks

Above post should be die off not dry off.

Camellia;955048 wrote: Ok, will do. Thanks

Above post should be die off not dry off.

yea i figured thats what you meant lol. i doubt you will see much die off if any and even if there is it most likely wont be enough to affect your tank. so i wouldnt worry about it.

Camellia;955046 wrote: Dang Rich, that's good to hear. I've got it back running and heating. Will recheck prams in a few hours. I fiquered letting it get cold (house temp 70*) would cause dry off of???
Thanks

Have you got a new tank running yet?

No not yet. Getting the itch but I keep fighting it off. LOL. With 3 hours a day in the car and bringing work home on weekends it doesn't leave a lot of time for hobbies. :-( But it pass the bills so I am not complaining.

I know you all think I have no heart but now I have an ultrasound to prove it. :)

You should be fine... since the temp drop was gradual (overnight, several hours) and only down to low 70's there shouldn't be any appreciable die off so long as the rise back to reef temp is also slow. Set your heater to maybe 74/76 and back to normal later today and all should be well.

I would run and air stone for an hour or two, or just a drip line back into the tank of tank water to get the water fully oxygenated again, although you should be okay there as well if you've got anything causing ripples in the surface or the water.

I'd want to figure out why the nitrates were 'crazy high' in the first place, though, if you have just live rock and some clean-up critters in there.

What test are you using and how old is it?

Sounds like there may be an underlying problem there that should be addressed, that was there before the temporary lack of water movement.

Jenn

Jen,

I am wondering the same thing. I did spill a lot of old flake food one day but it appeared most of it ended up in the filter socks. I am using new Red Sea tests, yes something's going on! I'm running a WP 25 which keeps the sand blowing around a little to much but honestly I don't understand why they were so high. Please help me figure it out :)

I made another 25 gallons of water today with plans of doing another big water change if needed before moving livestock.
I hadn't tested in a while and never had a big "cycle". Ill test tomorrow and post results.
Thanks

Did you remove the socks and change them promptly or was the stuff left to sit there for a few days?

I'd do a couple of water changes and let it sit a while longer and test, before moving livestock.

You need to determine whether it was that or something else, like leaching.

Is it re-used or new rock?

If it's old rock that wasn't well maintained, it could be a nutrient sink that is leaching out nitrate and that could prove to be a problem.

Jenn

I removed the socks that same day (night) about 9 hours later.
There is only 15 to 20 pounds of rock. About 10 was my old rock that had been sitting out in the sun for months, then soaked in tap, then soaked in RO, rinsed and soaked several more times in RO for several days. The other 10 pounds came directly from my DT that's covered in coralline at initial set up of this 75.
I have not done another water change yet and the test showed:
No3 is 5 on low range.

By saying "crazy high" I tested low range and it showed >5 and was surprising with no live stock but I haven't done many water changes either....
You may remember my father got real bad (and passed) at the beginning of cycling this set up. I didn't test initially as needed to watch for increases, decreases, etc. But I did use a raw shrimp for 4 days when I set up then remove it. At that time the trites and phos was on an increase...
Currently Po4 is 0 (maybe .02ppm but it's a close call)
Ammonia 0
I've got 25 gallons freshly made up. Do you still say for me to do another water change and wait on transfer on the tank.
Sorry to ask again, I'm just ready! It's been almost 5 months of running both tanks.
Thanks again

I'm sorry about your Dad :( I remember when he got sick, I didn't realize he had passed. My condolences....

I'm confused about the actual reading... if it's greater than 5, that could mean 6 or 200... Do you know what the specific reading is? If it's 6-10 I wouldn't worry about it but if it's 50 or more that's cause for more investigation. I re-read your initial post because I thought there was a number to go with "crazy high"... to me that's 50 or more esp. for a new tank.

The actual value will be much more telling. Is it API you're using?

Jenn

Thanks Jen,
It's Red Sea Test Kit (API come on, you have taught me better).
Yes <10 sorry I guess that's not "crazy" high either compared to 50.

It does bother me that I never had a good, obvious cycle... I suppose with the live rock and sand it...

Appreciate ya

Heh sorry ;) You're right I did teach ya better! :D

As long as you are stocking sensibly, you should be good to go.

Jenn

Back