After-Cycle Water Change

jeffmuse

Market
Reaction score
I had my old tank setup for 5 years, and I am currently rebooting my system after a crash. It has been a while since I setup a new tank, so I wanted to get some member feedback on the cycle.

If I recall, it is a good practice to do a large water change after the tank is done cycling. How big of a water change is standard? 20%? 50%?

I have a 150 gallon display and just made up 30 gallons for the initial water change.... is this enough, or should I do a 60 gallon change?

Muse,
If your done cycling I have a frag for you. Just let me know when.
-Nick

I've never felt the need to do one specifically after a cycle, but you wouldn't be hurting anything with one either.

USVI Diver;902517 wrote: Just curious but how did you cycle your tank? I am almost finished with the cycle in my 120.

In my old system, I had a 130 lb piece of live rock that was covered in soft corals and SPS. When the tank crashed in the move, all of those corals died and there was a tremendous amount of dead organic material on the rock (despite how much I scrubbed it).

When I re-booted the system, all of the dead material left on the rock caused the tank to cycle. I then added about 40 lbs of live rock from another system to help seed my existing rock and sand.

My tank has been cycling for 4 weeks, it is just about ready for fish. How did you cycle your 120?

Edit:
JimmyStephens;902479 wrote: Hey jeff
I would just do a normal 20% no need to do 50% .
Good luck with it man

Sounds good, thanks Jimmy!

I bought 135 lbs of uncured LR and used that to begin the cycle. I started the tank on Sept 18th, did a 50% water change on the 28th and plan to do another 50% water change tomorrow. My ammonia is 0 but my nitites are still showing.

Back