After many perfect months....I got flatworms

jonboyb

Market
Reaction score
My tank has been unbelievably "peaceful" for months now but I've noticed a few red flatworms here and there. Nothing new in my tank for 4 months so kinda a random outbreak but I'll make it. It's a 28 gallon with plenty of room for another fish so I guess a wrasse is in order. Do all wrasses eradicate flatworms or just the 6-lines. I'd rather have a McCoskers or Flasher,etc but if they don't eat flatworms I'll stick with a 6-line. Thanks.

my lubbock's ate my flatworms when i let her get hungry enough. any fish is going to prefer prepared food over nasty flatworms, so give it time. and a predator isn't going to completely wipe out your flatworm population, just keep it in check. unless they're actually on corals i wouldn't be too worried about it though. just siphon out what you can when you do water changes and let a wrasse graze on the rest.

I haven't been able to find a single flatworm on any corals (I have a variety of SPS, LPS, and softys). They are just on the LR and a couple on the glass. Not worried about them, but since I've been wanting a small wrasse anyway, now seems to be the perfect time:D

If you want something to eat flatworms, I think a six-line would be a better choice than a flasher/fairy wrasse but if you have a sand bed a yellow coris wrasse would also be nice to have for the job.

It's really a hit or miss with wrasses. I bought a six line for a flatworm problem and the little guy wouldn't touch them. Then I bought a yellow coris wrasse and the second the sixline saw him eat the flatworms then the sixline was all over them. It was like he didn't want them until another wrasse competed against him on that food supply. Now I hardly see any flatworms.

It would be great if you are just looking for a temp solution to borrow someone's wrasse that is known to eat flatworms. Of course catching wrasses out of a display tank is a problem in its own.

Matt

I had thought about asking to "rent" one from a member with a known flatworm appetite but I just don't want to take the chance of something happening to it. Guess I'll post a WTB for one.

jonboyb;340551 wrote: I had thought about asking to "rent" one from a member with a known flatworm appetite but I just don't want to take the chance of something happening to it. Guess I'll post a WTB for one.

I got a fish trap coming in the mail if anyone needs it...

If you dont want the fish for anything but flatworm control, get flatworm exit. Just follown the directions and youll be fine. Sixlines are cool, but they can get very mean for a small fish. Transfering fish from tank to tank is not a good solution, in my opinion.

jmaneyapanda;340594 wrote: If you dont want the fish for anything but flatworm control, get flatworm exit. Just follown the directions and youll be fine. Sixlines are cool, but they can get very mean for a small fish. Transfering fish from tank to tank is not a good solution, in my opinion.

+1, Flatworm Exit isn't that hard to use, just follow the directions to a T.

I've had plans for the addition of a wrasse anyways for the color. 6-lines are cheap and pretty colorful (although common) and he can take care of my flatworms to boot.

Ok. Just bear in mind, they often make subsequent additions difficult. Good luck!

I have unused packet of Flatworm exit - my wrasse did the job for me.

PM me.

I have flat worms in my refugium I just found out. Not sure if it's one of my wrasse that' eating them or maybe my mandarins. Either way I searched high and low and couldn't find one flatworm in the display.

:tongue:

Red planaria flatworms are not the devils they are made out to be. Worst case scenario, they accumulate so dense they shade light from corals. But, seeing one of two isnt the end of the world at all. Many shrimp are considered control for them also.

The amount I'm seeing certainly doesn't worry me but I'd rather nip it in the bud before they have time to explode. I actually went against my own rules yesterday and placed a 6-line directly in my display without QT (let the flames begin....I know) but he's either already chowing down or the flatworms have detected a predator and are in hiding because there are already noticably fewer in the display. I even noticed by red scooter blenny eat a couple of small flatworms. I also use airline tubing to siphon out easy to reach culprits.

I have a peppermint and cleaner shrimp that don't touch them. Marine shrimp a alot smarter than they are given credit and learn to wait for free meals pretty quick. My cleaner dang near hosts my GBTA with my clowns.

Back