AI Hydra 52 over 29 Biocube

dsouth1103

Supporting
Reaction score
I have a 29 gallon biocube currently and its done very well, but ive always wanted more capabilities that were restricted because of the stock lighting. So recently i went out and bought a AI Hydra 52 with a wireless director so i have full controllability with my lights. I tore out the stock lighting and bolted in the 52 into the canopy exactly where the original bulbs were. I know they are very powerful lights and being right over the water where the original lights are and being a small tank, im worried about too much lighting and correct coverage. What do y'all suggest i do about making sure my tank is correctly lit? Thanks for any help!

The ai hydra 52 is very powerful, I would recommend starting it off at a low intensity, and slowly ramping up. Corals can be easily damaged, or killed by to much lighting, but not so much not enough light. Maybe start the lighting off around the 10% area, and slowly bump the percentages until you find a setting the corals are happy under.

Thank you for the quick response, but when you say 10%, do you mean each color is at 10% during the brightest part of the day?

dsouth1103;1060987 wrote: Thank you for the quick response, but when you say 10%, do you mean each color is at 10% during the brightest part of the day?

10% whites, blues can probably be up to 25-30%. You can play with the reds and greens to suit your personal preferences, but yes keep it below 10%.

I'd personally start with whites 10% and blues 20%. Maybe increase intensities by 2% until you dial it in right.

LSU_fishFan;1060989 wrote: 10% whites, blues can probably be up to 25-30%. You can play with the reds and greens to suit your personal preferences, but yes keep it below 10%.

I'd personally start with whites 10% and blues 20%. Maybe increase intensities by 2% until you dial it in right.

And i think coverage should be ok considering the max coverage for the 52 is 24x24 and the demensions of the tank are like 21x21. But do you think the low height (in the hood) would be a problem?

dsouth1103;1060992 wrote: And i think coverage should be ok considering the max coverage for the 52 is 24x24 and the demensions of the tank are like 21x21. But do you think the low height (in the hood) would be a problem?

I dont think so, the low height would just intensify the light more. There sould be pretty good coverage.

thats a lot of light for that tank, a Hydra 26 would be better but a larger concern is having the unit inside the BC hood and so close to the surface. These units can get hot and not sure if limited air circulation might be harmful to the Hydra. I do think the unit is too closet the surface, I'd take off the top and raise up the unit if it was mine. I had a Hydra 26 about 10-12" off the surface of a similar tank (Nano Cube 28), great light.

As for color mix, had the blues at 50-70%, red 5%, green 2%, white 0-5% (mostly 0-1%).

Yeah be very careful with those lights. You can burn your corals very fast with those lights. If you start out low and acclimate you will be fine. Good luck with it and send some pictures of the tank when you can.

Back