AI Prime vs. Radion XR15 vs. Ocean Revive Arctic

christophert

Market
Reaction score
So I'm a little confused about LED's here and just beginning to wander into the fray.
Currently I have the stock fluorescent lights in my 29 Biocube, and want to put LED lighting on my tank somehow. Looking right now at a few fixtures, most prominently, the AI Prime, the Radion XR15 (expensive!) and the Ocean Revive Arctic, which a few members on here are selling used.

Does anyone have experience with any of the above mentioned fixtures on a 29 biocube? I have also considered retrofit kits, and "black box" LED fixtures but resale value is also a factor here looking into upgrading in the future, in which case I want to be able to sell for a good price.

What I'm looking for for my tank is both good light output for growth (SPS, anemones, etc.), and a spectrum that will show off the colors and phosphorescence of underwater life.

Thanks y'all.

With the AI and Radion, you will have a lot more control on color. The ocean revive is only controlled through two channels, 1 for whites, and 1 for all the other diodes.

With the radion and prime, you can control via wifi, but the radion requires the reeflink($100). While the radion is the most expensive, it is probably the best built, and Ecotech has great customer service. AI is also a well built brand, also with great customer service. One of the advantages to the AI is that it is wifi controllable right out of the box. Personally, I've never used the prime, nor the xr15, but do use lights from both companies, and would highly recommend both.

I've never had any experience with the ocean revives, but in the past few months, one member Snowmansnow tried them out on his sps tank, and switched to Ecotech. I've seen one member who is running the ocean revives, and has a nice sps tank.

The radion and prime will probably be the easiest to sell as they have the name behind them.

I think all are capable of providing enough light for any coral, it's just how controllable you want them to be.

I haven't had the AI prime long enough to really comment, but I love it.

My concern with the AI prime in a bio cube is the mounting height. I get pretty good coverage in a 30 gallon cube, but my mounting height is way higher than what you would achieve in the hood of a biocube.

For this reason, a fixture with diodes more spread out (less concentrated) may work better for you.

JBDreefs;1067327 wrote: I haven't had the AI prime long enough to really comment, but I love it.

My concern with the AI prime in a bio cube is the mounting height. I get pretty good coverage in a 30 gallon cube, but my mounting height is way higher than what you would achieve in the hood of a biocube.

For this reason, a fixture with diodes more spread out (less concentrated) may work better for you.
John what size is your 30 cube?

I used a Rapid Led kit years ago to mod the top of my 29 cube. It's VERY reasonable priced, you can customize the Leds for corals your interested in growing and/or change it up later. They have great CS to help you if you need it and I've never heard a negative about them.

With that said, you get what you pay for with most LEDS, I think. I bought and use Radion.

Another factor to consider is do you plan on keeping the 29 long enough to put big bucks in it on lights? If your like most of us addicts, you will need a bigger tank within a year when all those frags grow out.
If you have < $100 in the light, it won't hurt so much and you can keep it for a QT tank? Just food for thought.

I haven't used the AI. But I HAVE used the radion G3 and the ocean revive.
They are both great for what they are. The radion allows for a LOT of control of the individual color, and the OR is simply 2 channels on or off (you CAN control the intensities, but they are just set)
Now here's the thing. In my limited experience they both will grow sps just fine. Those OR lights are a pretty dang good deal IMO.
Now, if you have the dime and you want a more advanced toy.. Go w the radions.

I have a pretty long thread on the OR lights here somewhere

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Ive had my Radion for over 4 years and love it with no problems. However it might be overkill for 20 cube.
That's why suggested making your LED in the hood of your cube if there is one, using Repid LED.

Agree with Jeff, Kessil is an awesome option for smaller cube tank. But I think the AI Prime would be perfect as well. We have a lot of nano tanks out there running the Pirme units and they work very well. All the features you would want in a high-end fixture in one nice neat package. Fully wireless with no additional costs for a reeflink/director. And in my opinion the price on the Prime is really good, especially when comparing them to the Radions.

aXio;1067565 wrote: Agree with Jeff, Kessil is an awesome option for smaller cube tank. But I think the AI Prime would be perfect as well. We have a lot of nano tanks out there running the Pirme units and they work very well. All the features you would want in a high-end fixture in one nice neat package. Fully wireless with no additional costs for a reeflink/director. And in my opinion the price on the Prime is really good, especially when comparing them to the Radions.

+1 on this one. And if you look on eBay, you'll find a Prime below $150 easily.

Everyone here has offered great advice, but I didn't see whether you were planning on keeping the hood for your biocube. If you are, the kessil, radion, and ocean revive are all out as they simply wont fit.

Back